Thread: Working with consultants

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Working with consultants

I'm wondering how many of you supply software to your consultants. If you have someone doing a large amount of your drafting overseas say, do you supply them with the version of AutoCAD you prefer, or leave it up to them? ( My company operates in Bermuda and we are outsourcing some work to a one man outfit in Toronto).

It seems in other industries it is very common to supply the required software - expected even, but I don't think it's the same in the AEC industry.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Jason

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Working with consultants

Not usually. The software requirement is spelled out in the contract. Depending on the location or country the drawings are being sent to, there might be different licensing requirements so we can't just send the software.

Login to Give a bone

I have used a couple of drafting / design services based overseas (Asia / India / Ireland) and have approached this topic with a general performance spec for the work to be performed. I require that their contract must be executed using the application, version, etc. I name; and include a copy of the Cadd Standard I wish the outsource firm to adhere.

Providing a copy of software is very common for Information / Technology Development, but within the AEC industry, Cadd Applications are recognized as a "tool of the trade" similar to a hammer for a carpenter.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by redWORKX View Post
    Providing a copy of software is very common for Information / Technology Development, but within the AEC industry, Cadd Applications are recognized as a "tool of the trade" similar to a hammer for a carpenter.
    But you can't get a "degree" in Hammer.

Sorry, off-topic, I know.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    But you can't get a "degree" in Hammer.

Sorry, off-topic, I know.
    There's a "you can't touch this" joke somewhere in there.

Anyway, back on topic. We don't really have this limitation since we upgrade yearly (it seems that way to me anyway, I've only been here for the past 8 months). But when we have to send files elsewhere, they tell us what version it needs to be in. If our out-of-country offices worked on it, we have someone check it, then they'll do the conversion.
    Usually, it's in the contract, but if it's not, then we'll ask them to clarify just after we're done with it.

Login to Give a bone

With the CAD licensing scheme, I would anticipate great trouble legally supplying software to a consultant. Unless you simply buy it and give it to him as part of the deal... In which case, let's talk!!

Login to Give a bone

Most all of our work is ACAD-based. Either our clients or using the right software is usually not an issue. As it is, we also have a copy of Microstation, as well.

We don't supply software and we aren't supplied it. But if a project calls for it we'll make room in the budget -- in essence, the client pays for is as part of the job.

We do deal with a variety of clients. So far the only issue I've seen is dwg file version compatibility. Some in my office here are still using 2000LT.