Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Elements in a linked model?

Login to Give a bone

Default Hide Elements in a linked model?

Is there any secret to this? I have some projects where I am able to select a single element from a linked revit model and hide the individual element (right click>Hide in View>Element). I have other files where when I try to hide an element, that feature is greyed out. Is there any control over this or is it just a glitch in my project?

Thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Hide Elements in a linked model?

Sounds like you're editing the visibility in a family. Is this element an "In Place Family" inside your project?

Hope this helps,

Jeff S.

Quote Originally Posted by mzabritski View Post
    Is there any secret to this? I have some projects where I am able to select a single element from a linked revit model and hide the individual element (right click>Hide in View>Element). I have other files where when I try to hide an element, that feature is greyed out. Is there any control over this or is it just a glitch in my project?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hide Elements in a linked model?

No, I've got a standard Revit structural file linked into our project. I can hide individual elements (beams, columns, etc..) in any view in my project. I have another project with a linked architectural model (the core/shell of an office building). Our model will be the TI of the project. If I choose any wall or door in the linked model, the HIDE IN VIEW option is grayed out.

I've tested it by doing a quick model with walls and doors, then linking it into another file. In this file, the HIDE IN VIEW options of the linked model are not grayed out. Can't really figure out why it works in one model and not in another.

To make things more complicated, when I first started the first project (with the structural model) I could swear that the HIDE IN VIEW options were grayed out. One day I checked again and they weren't. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I seem to remember it being like that when we first started the project.

How is Revit suppose to work? Are you suppose to be able to hide individual linked elements? If so, what would be causing the command to gray out in the second model?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Any suggestions on this?

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I cannot duplicate this behavior. Not with pinning, not with worksets.

~AJH

Login to Give a bone

AJ,

Which behavior are you getting (ie.. what is the normal behavior)? Are you able to hide individual elements or is that option grayed out?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Your problem is that in the view you are in the linked RVT is set to 'by linked view'.
    The intent of 'by linked view' is that you can count on the Link displaying exactly as it does in that view in the link, so overrides are disabled.

In V/G dialog in rvt tab set the Link to 'by host view' and hide will be allowed.
    It does look like custom will also not allow this if a linked view is selected.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Login to Give a bone

Steve,

Thanks a million. As usual, a pretty simple solution that I couldn't figure out.

Login to Give a bone

Steve, you got it. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all

Need some help here

So... I'm currently working in a multi resi project (about 200 stand alone houses - 59 different types).

This project is moving onto tender phase and there are many amendments to make to all 59 types (for example, wall types, door types, window types, etc).

Originally we had a separate file for each individual house, but this is not practical. If I need to change the wall type I need to open each individual type (which means 59 times!).

Hence, I thought a good idea would be to structure the file in the following way>

1-"Documentation & Modelling" file where I have all 59 types one next to the other (each house type has its own individual workset)

2-Each house of the above file is linked into an individual house file (say "Type A") and all worksets are closed except the "Type A" workset

3-Each individual file (Type A, B, C gets then linked into the masterplan site to get overall plan, street elevations, etc).

Here's the issue: when I link the individual types (which are a link of the documentation & modelling file) into the masterplan file I can't "manage worksets" (ie all 59 houses appear, even though only 1 house is shown in the link).

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

Any better ways to handle a project with multi residential units?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast