Thread: Object Highlighting

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Object Highlighting

When I select a group of object or even if I place my mouse on an object it highlights that object. It kinda goes dashed. Anyways, is there any way to turn this off. I am running on a REALLY SLOW computer and just the act of it highlighting stuff bogs it down. I will XRef a floor plan into a drawing and lock that layer. Well when I work on top of it and I want to grab some stuff to stretch it, it grabs that floorplan and it takes forever for it to go through and highlight it. I appreciate any help. I tried looking through help on Autodesk but I don't know exactly what that feature is called so I didn't do well in finding it. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Object Highlighting

Options > Selection > Selection Preview... clear the boxes. You might find setting "When a command is active" on to your advantage

Login to Give a bone

Well I tried that, I unchecked both boxes and it still highlights everything. I also went to advance options and excluded xRefs and they still highlight. Do you know why it doesn't seem to work?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by j.shields View Post
    Well I tried that, I unchecked both boxes and it still highlights everything. I also went to advance options and excluded xRefs and they still highlight. Do you know why it doesn't seem to work?
    go to visual effect settings (same tab) and make adjustments there.

*edit* nevermind, I see you did that.

That should do the trick, go back in and make sure the changes "stuck"

Login to Give a bone

The system variable is SELECTIONPREVIEW, you could try setting it to 0 from the command line.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

When I select a group of object or even if I place my mouse on an object it highlights that object.
    Not entirely sure which of the 2 scenarios you're referring to:
    1. When you hover the mouse pointer over an entity (without clicking any buttons) and it becomes dashed (highlighted) & thickened, this is due to the selection preview setting (as per previous posts).
    2. If however, you're meaning that once you click the mouse (selecting the entity / entities) it changes to dashed (highlighted), then you can turn this off for the entire drawing by changing the HIGHLIGHT variable to 0. Unfortunately it will then simply not highlight anything, so you won't know what you've selected. When selecting something (and HIGHLIGH = 1) then even entities on locked layers will get highlighted (although you can't do anything with them). Maybe this should go into the wish list.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Not entirely sure which of the 2 scenarios you're referring to:
    1. When you hover the mouse pointer over an entity (without clicking any buttons) and it becomes dashed (highlighted) & thickened, this is due to the selection preview setting (as per previous posts).
    2. If however, you're meaning that once you click the mouse (selecting the entity / entities) it changes to dashed (highlighted), then you can turn this off for the entire drawing by changing the HIGHLIGHT variable to 0. Unfortunately it will then simply not highlight anything, so you won't know what you've selected. When selecting something (and HIGHLIGH = 1) then even entities on locked layers will get highlighted (although you can't do anything with them). Maybe this should go into the wish list.
    This was exactly my problem, HIGHLIGHT fixed it! I agree you loose control of what you actually selected but sometimes it helps. I agree though that if the layer is locked then it shouldn't be selected. How do you go about adding it to a wish list? Thanks so much for the help, everyone!

Login to Give a bone

This was exactly my problem, HIGHLIGHT fixed it! I agree you loose control of what you actually selected but sometimes it helps. I agree though that if the layer is locked then it shouldn't be selected. How do you go about adding it to a wish list? Thanks so much for the help, everyone!
    Here

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

This was exactly my problem, HIGHLIGHT fixed it! I agree you loose control of what you actually selected but sometimes it helps. I agree though that if the layer is locked then it shouldn't be selected.
    This only happens if you select entities before you issue the command, i.e. selecting with the cross-hairs. If you issue the command first (e.g. MOVE) then select using the pick-box, entities on locked layers won't get selected. I think the select 1st scenario is allowed, since you can use entities on locked layers in certain commands, e.g. match properties, freeze / that / on / off.