Thread: Parametric Part Creation

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Part Creation

Creating this was probably the most fun I have had in a while...

Enjoy!
    1. Menu > CAD Manager > Content Editing > Content Builder
    2. Multi-View Part > All Installed MvParts > Mechanical > Dampers > Fire Dampers
    3. Click on “New Parametric Part”, Name: “Crazy Fire Damper”, Description: “Crazy Fire Damper”
    4. Part Configuration > Type: Damper, Sub-type: Fire Damper
    5. Change View to 3D Isometric (Command: VIEW)
    6. Modeling > Work Planes (right-click): Add Work Plane, Default
    7. Work Planes (right-click): Add Work Plane, Offset (Name: “End of Handle”), YZ Plane, 18”
    8. Draw a construction line from the top intersection of the YZ and ZX Planes to the bottom intersection of those planes
    9. Work Planes > YZ Plane (right-click): Add Geometry: Point, midpoint of the line you drew in step 8 (erase construction line)
    10. YZ Plane > Geometry > Point 2D (right-click): Fixed (check)
    11. YZ Plane (right-click): Add Profile: Circular, “node” of fixed point you created in step 9, radius: 0.5”
    12. Modeling > Modifiers (right-click): Add Extrusion, Circular profile you created in step 11, Type: Plane, “End of Handle” Plane
    13. Modeling > Work Planes > ZX Plane (right-click): Add Geometry: Reference Point, fixed point you created in step 9
    14. ZX Plane (right-click): Add Profile: Rectangular, click the corners of the rectangle such that the rectangle encloses the fixed point you created in step 9 (changing your view may be helpful)
    15. Modeling > Modifiers (right-click): Add Extrusion, Rectangular profile you created in step 14, Type: MidPlane, Distance: 6”
    16. Modeling > Work Planes > “End of Handle” Plane (right-click): Add Geometry: Reference Point, fixed point you created in step 9
    17. “End of Handle” Plane (right-click): Add Profile: Oval, click the corners of the oval such that the rectangle encloses the fixed point you created in step 9 (changing your view may be helpful)
    18. Modeling > Modifiers (right-click): Add Extrusion, Oval profile you created in step 17, Type: Blind, Distance: 0.25”
    19. Modifiers (right-click): Add Boolean Add, the three Extrusions you created in steps 12, 15, and 18
    20. Modeling > Connections (right-click): Add Connection, 1st side of Rectangular Extrusion you created in step 15, connection number: 1, click on the 2 side points created when you created the rectangular profile in step 14, click on the 2 top points created when you created the rectangular profile in step 14 (this adds the height and width dimensions for the Damper/Duct connection – which will be named RH1 and RW1)
    21. Connections (right-click): Edit Connections: change values of Domain for both connections to be Duct
    22. Modeling > Work Planes > ZX Plane (right-click): Add Dimension: Horizontal Distance, click the fixed point you created in step 9 and one of the points created by the rectangular profile you created in step 14 (this adds a dimension for the value of half the width of the Duct connection – which will be named LenA1), enter a value of 6”
    23. ZX Plane (right-click): Add Dimension: Vertical Distance, click the fixed point you created in step 9 and one of the points created by the rectangular profile you created in step 14 (this adds a dimension for the value of half the width of the Duct connection – which will be named LenA2), enter a value of 6”
    24. Modeling > Model Parameters (right-click): Edit, change the value for LenA1 to be RW1/2 and LenA2 to be RH1/2, change the value for WPOf1 to be RW1/2+8, change the values for RH1 and RW1 to be 12, change the value for RH2 to be RH1, change the value of RW2 to be RW1 (edited)
    25. Modeling > Work Planes > “End of Handle Plane” (right-click): Add Dimension: Horizontal Distance, click on the two top points created by the oval profile you created in step 18, enter a value of 6”
    26. “End of Handle Plane” (right-click): Add Dimension: Vertical Distance, click on the two side points created by the oval profile you created in step 18, enter a value of 1.5”
    27. “End of Handle” Plane (right-click): Add Dimension: Horizontal Distance, click on the reference point you created in step 16 and then the one of the points created by the oval profile you created in step 18, enter a value of 5.5”
    28. “End of Handle Plane” (right-click): Add Dimension: Vertical Distance, click on the reference point you created in step 16 and then the one of the points created by the oval profile you created in step 18, enter a value of 0.75”
    29. Size Parameters (right-click): Edit Values, click on the value for RH1 and then click on the Edit button (upper right corner), add the values as needed (3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,etc.)
    30. Repeat step 29 for RW1 (edited)
    31. Change to the “Calculations” tab, click on the value for Part Size Name and then click on the Edit button, change the Precision to be 0 and enter the formula as RW1 x RH1 PrtD, click OK, click OK
    32. Click on the Options button (to the right of the stop light icon), check the boxes for “Custom Sizing” and “Break into Part” only, change the Layer Key to be
      M-MV-DAMPER_FIRE
    33. Click on the Save Part Family button and close the drawing.
    34. Do a dance and notify everyone in the office that you are quite possibly the most brilliant person they have ever had contact with.
    35. Go Buy Buzz a Beer: http://www.geniusoftllc.com/beer4buzz
    -Buzz
    Last edited by buzz; 2008-04-08 at 08:20 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Part Creation

After double checking my list, I found a problem, you will want to change the following steps:

24. Modeling > Model Parameters (right-click): Edit, change the value for LenA1 to be RW1/2 and LenA2 to be RH1/2, change the value for WPOf1 to be RW1/2+8, change the values for RH1 and RW1 to be 12, change the value for RH2 to be RH1, change the value of RW2 to be RW1

30. Repeat step 29 for RW1

-Buzz

Login to Give a bone

Ok great but now make a Fire/Smoke Damper!!

j/k very nice work Buzz, I didnt actually go through and make it, but I can see what your doing there

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the excellent walkthrough buzz, it really helped. However, I have one more question, posted at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...868#post856868 .

Thanks in advance for your help,
    -Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bradg; 2008-06-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: moved question to appropriate forum group

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Oh well Buzz , I come from Inventor doing some pretty interesting Parametric modeling but have not been able to do anything with Content Builder in Mep 2010. I will give your post a try.
    I just can not discover the logic behind it .

By the way , I already tried importing AEC Exchange parts from inventor to MEP 2010 but did not find the way to make parametric parts on MEP2010 based on parametric part imported from Inventor . Is this possible.

PEdit : I came this far but my Modifiers Add Boolean Add / Substarct are greyed out ,
    Can not go further ? See attached picture

Thank you
    Greetings
    FAA
    Chile
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francisco.asencio; 2009-06-11 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Include picture of my progress

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Is there a way to make associative schematic part?

Login to Give a bone

can anybody tell how to use bevel tap fittings for connecting branch duct having dimension 450*550 to main duct line of 600*700?
    we tried it but failed to change its default dimensions....pls reply....