Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Attributes to display correctly once Dynamic Block is instead more than once

Login to Give a bone

Angry Getting Attributes to display correctly once Dynamic Block is instead more than once

I don't know if I am trying to create something too difficult but have been running into a wall with adding attribute to my blocks and getting them to work correctly. I am trying to create a Receptacle Devices block with all my outlets in it. I would like to add an attribute to all of them, one for Circ. No. and one for Label ie. GFI, WP, etc. I would like to give everyone in my group the option to enter text when they place their outlet. So far I have my receptacle block set up but when I add the attributes it applies only to the first device. If I add some to the second device only one shows up in the first device. This is of course after I place them in my drawing. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I've saved all these type of blocks for the end and I am struggling. Please any advice!!! I've referenced back to the handouts from AU but don't find anything particular about adding attributes.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Getting Attributes to display correctly once Dynamic Block is instead more than once

Can you post a copy of one of your blocks you are having trouble with?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Getting Attributes to display correctly once Dynamic Block is instead more than once

Quote Originally Posted by kcrum
    I don't know if I am trying to create something too difficult but have been running into a wall with adding attribute to my blocks and getting them to work correctly. I am trying to create a Receptacle Devices block with all my outlets in it. I would like to add an attribute to all of them, one for Circ. No. and one for Label ie. GFI, WP, etc. I would like to give everyone in my group the option to enter text when they place their outlet. So far I have my receptacle block set up but when I add the attributes it applies only to the first device. If I add some to the second device only one shows up in the first device. This is of course after I place them in my drawing. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I've saved all these type of blocks for the end and I am struggling. Please any advice!!! I've referenced back to the handouts from AU but don't find anything particular about adding attributes.
    You have to remember that if you're inserting an attribute into a Dynamic Block visibility, it only applies to THAT visibility UNLESS you make it visible to all vis states. There's a button (or the variable BVShow, I think) that you can use to make the attributes visible to all states. And remember to only have one set of attributes to keep things clean and simple.

Oh, and remember to make each attribute unique in name, tag and initial value, otherwise they won't display properly.

Use Battman to update and re-sync the block and everything should be OK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Are they the same attributes for all visability states? If so, and you have done as Rico suggested and have each attribute have different tags, you can select them (while in Block Editor) right click and go to "object visability" and select "show for all states" and save it.

Just my suggestion

Login to Give a bone

once you have your attributes visible for all states, have you considered using a lookup for the Label? you can have a list of the usual names, but also be able to overwrite it using a lookup & field in the attribute. you could do one for each attribute if you wanted. Lookup qty's aren't limited in a DB....
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

THank you so much!!! So far so good. That really helped!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    Are they the same attributes for all visability states? If so, and you have done as Rico suggested and have each attribute have different tags, you can select them (while in Block Editor) right click and go to "object visability" and select "show for all states" and save it.

Just my suggestion
    Much easier than my method of making them visible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

THank you so much!!! So far so good. That really helped!
    just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what the issue was and what it was that helped?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rico
    Much easier than my method of making them visible.
    i think you just proved you didn't read my ATP!!
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    i think you just proved you didn't read my ATP!!
    quite the opposite. Remember. Caddie with lots of bad habits ot break. And currently on some amazing anti inflammatories / brain mushers.

I still do some things the "long" way. I don't guarantee that I'll even remember this next week ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast