Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not get multiple block lookup working - please assist!?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can not get multiple block lookup working - please assist!?

So I am trying to setup a block which will reside in a title block that is inserted with sheet sets that a user can click on or however it should be accessed and choose the engineers stamp which should be shown in the title block. What I have done is created one block with all of the engineers stamps in it and was trying the lookup parameters and such, but am not having any luck. AM a bit limited on time for this one and was hoping someone could take a look and maybe set it up and then explain what I could/should of done? Am I making it harder than it is? I will attach the block that I am referring to. It is in 2007 format. I am using 2008. Thanks for any input and help you can assist with!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can not get multiple block lookup working - please assist!?

Quote Originally Posted by cadman_meg View Post
    So I am trying to setup a block which will reside in a title block that is inserted with sheet sets that a user can click on or however it should be accessed and choose the engineers stamp which should be shown in the title block. What I have done is created one block with all of the engineers stamps in it and was trying the lookup parameters and such, but am not having any luck. AM a bit limited on time for this one and was hoping someone could take a look and maybe set it up and then explain what I could/should of done? Am I making it harder than it is? I will attach the block that I am referring to. It is in 2007 format. I am using 2008. Thanks for any input and help you can assist with!
    a lookup parameter needs other parameters in place that they can then control.

you need to start with vis states.

i'd recommend that you don't use whole blocks for each state tho, only stuff that's different (i.e.: engineer names & reg #'s) should be on vis states with the rest set as "visible in all states"

also, depending on if the title block is dynamic or not, re-think embedding this stamp IN the title block, but possibly just placing it inside the template?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That is what I meant is the visibility state, not the other that I mentioned. Also, my title block is in my template, actually a choice of several title blocks when working with SSM dependant on job.

Either way, with my toying around with it, I am still lost, can you go further or can someone else please?

Thanks much.

Login to Give a bone

That is what I meant is the visibility state, not the other that I mentioned. Also, my title block is in my template, actually a choice of several title blocks when working with SSM dependant on job.

Either way, with my toying around with it, I am still lost, can you go further or can someone else please?

Thanks much.
    what is losing you? vis states are one of the most straight forward parameters IMO.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Guess I just do not know where to start or where I am starting off on the wrong foot. Is aggrevating to me as usually these things are faily easy ot me. Could just be my head is elsewhere.

If I go the route with the text changing, do I enter different text for each? One place I am getting mixed up in is if I need to be in block editor or not? Another, there are parameters, actions, etc.. with mostly the same things. So if you set parameters, then it is linked to an action? Not sure why I am not getting it....

Login to Give a bone

Guess I just do not know where to start or where I am starting off on the wrong foot. Is aggrevating to me as usually these things are faily easy ot me. Could just be my head is elsewhere.

If I go the route with the text changing, do I enter different text for each? One place I am getting mixed up in is if I need to be in block editor or not? Another, there are parameters, actions, etc.. with mostly the same things. So if you set parameters, then it is linked to an action? Not sure why I am not getting it....
    vis parameters are more or less "on/off" for visibility of objects, that's it, no extra actions.

what you are going to want to do is make the block with the stuff that's the same for all, then add text objects for each state, (copy & edit for each new one)

have you worked with vis states before?
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have never worked with dynamic blocks, o am using the info here, in the help file, and on the web. So now I understand how the visibility works, but I am just not seeing how it to do what I want, although it does seem easily obtainable. So it seems I should be able to do this with blocks or just changing the text out in one block, right? Either way, the end result will be one block with varying info; or at least that is my intent. I am first trying the block method as it seems that would be easier to mess with for if you look at the blocks I have provided, the text within gets goofy to go around the circle. Anyhow, what I started with is all 6 blocks inserted into a new dwg, then, because they were previously stacked on top of one another, I spread them out. Then according to what I am understanding, I have to go into block editor mode, correct? After doing so, I then dragged and dropped the visibility parameter in the dwg, gave it a name and then placed the parameter tag in the dwg. I then selected all of the blocks I didn't want showing and right-clicked and choose to not show for current visibility state. That is where I get lost. Cause after that, I can not get the other blocks back to then create the next parameter nor can I drop another of the same parameter. Seems I am still quite a bit off from achieving what I am after. Where am I going wrong? Am I making this harder that it is? The frustrating part of all of this is that typically, this kind of stuff comes naturally for me, so you can see my frustration! Anyhow, thanks for the input so far, hopefully I can get this figured out soon! Can you offer a step-bu-step wqith the outline I mentioned? Anyone else please feel free to step in here as well. Sorry for the long post, but thanks for the help!

Login to Give a bone

fist off cm-m, have you looked in the "LEARN!..." thread and viewed my ATP in there? it covers vis states.

second, to view all objects regardless of vis state, there's a button amid the upper-right cluster that is both orange and white, that toggles all the object on & off. that's what i use.

for your block, what i'd do is lay it out like you have done, but it sounds like you haven't created ADDITIONAL states for the vis parameter.

double click on the vis to bring up the dialog box, then go from there. (or click on the "Manage Visibility States" button in upper right of BE)
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

here's how i some of our valves for plumbing but i will use it as a stamp setup
    bedit < brings you to a box for the block names < engineers stamps >
    once you get to the editing screen, from the palatte pick the VISIBLITY PARAMATER and place on the screen near the ucs icon.
    now if you are doing several stamps, create a layer for the fisrt one the switch to it
    insert the first stamp. now look to the top right corner of editing screen you will see
    a drop down box, right before it is a icon that says MANAGE VISIBLITY STATES
    click on it you will get another box click new, there give it the name of the second stamp and then pick the first radio button HIDE ALL EXISTING OBJECTS IN NEW STATE. then click ok and ok again. make the layer for the second stamp and then insert the second stamp. and keep doing that unitl you finish. once you finish with the block save it then wblock it with the equal sing out to the hard drive.

i suggest you use 0,0 for inserting the stamps so that they all could in the same spot,

Good luck
    Last edited by vtmiii; 2008-02-26 at 06:47 PM. Reason: was not finished

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

How does this look?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast