Thread: Google Earth Export Colors

Login to Give a bone

Default Google Earth Export Colors

I am exporting a building to Google Earth from Revit. Currently I have been using the Avatech application to complete this.

I have been successful in exporting and placing the model. All is pretty good. However, the color of the model that leaves Revit is not what is shown in Google Earth.

Is there a way to control the colors that Google Earth interprets. I know this seems like a GE issue, but may be someone has some ideas before I go wading through that information.

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Google Earth Export Colors

I don't think it's built into the export mechanism but if you really want it you can moify the kml file (http://code.google.com/apis/kml/docu...ags_beta1.html)

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Daniel.

Is any one processing Revit models through SketchUp or other means to better control the Google Earth results?

Login to Give a bone

Pardon my ignorance - but is the Avatech plug-in the same as the one I downloaded from the Autodesk subscription site?

Using the latter the colours seem to come into Google Earth exactly as they left Revit

Login to Give a bone

WS,

No, the Autodesk tool and Avatech tool are different. The Avatech tool had more options that allowed me to rotate the placement into Google Earth. I had a hard time getting the Autodesk one to work.

Your image looks great. I guess I'll have to struggle through using the Autodesk one. I think that the Autodesk tool works, but does not give me the option to rotate, see attached.

Someone chime in if the Autodesk tool does this.

Login to Give a bone

Ah, interesting.

I've not tried IFC into Google Earth yet which might be another option?
    (there is a beta tool posted here recently for IFC to Google Earth, but in fact the free Nemetschek IFC viewer already exports to Google Earth - or so Nemetschek tell me, I've not got round to trying it yet...
    http://www.nemetschek.com/ifc )

I cheated on my site as I haven't yet mastered the True North thing and as it was not far out just left it, but I had assumed that if I set up North properly within Revit then it would come into Google Earth the right orientation?

I specifically chose that site as there were mountains nearby - for flat sites it doesn't have the same impact.

It was really just to give some idea of the view out of the little building - but I had to turn of the glass and the doors within Google Earth in order to see out

As shown in the attached image - a bit rough but with more care has possibilities.

Login to Give a bone

IFC may be a possibility, but I think it is not far enough along to get the job done.

You describe my problem in your repsonse. I did not set up the project initially accurate to North when developing the model. I just changed the names of my elevations to what I wanted!

But look at the attached results, I have included all images for completeness. Hover over each picture for a description.

I am not seeing a difference in material rendering with either tool. They both appear dark red as opposed to the lighter version in the Revit project.

Am I missing an environment setting

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Jason,

If you're still encountering this issue, feel free to drop a model to us at "devfeedback (at) avat.com" - we're planning on publishing an update soon to support 2009 - we could include some kind of adjustment for the color issue if we can identify it.

Best Regards,
    Matt