Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parametric Door Swing Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Door Swing Family

I am trying to make a door family so i can set the percentage open of a door. This is for visuals so i can show doors open, or half open etc (as oppose to all shut!!).

I found a thread showing how to make a simple door swing parametric which works fine. But the bit im finding hard is making it parametric with the door glazing, handles etc etc which will also 'swing open' with the door leaf.

Has anyone successfully made a complete parametric door family with swing so the door furniture and glass panels can be adjusted parametrically as well?

Any help on this subject would be good.

One of the problems i had was exporting a model out to Navis works, then doing a walk though (with gravity on) and found i couldnt walk through the doors!!!)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Door Swing Family

www.revitcity.com

There are hundreds of families @ this website. Find one you like then modify it.

As far as a custom door, where you want to create it from strach, thats going to take a lot of explaining with a parameter of an "opening angle".

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have a 2D door swing familiy in all my door families so I can control the swing opening in plan view. I model the 3D door panel in the closed position, and set its visibility so it will only display in elevation, sections & 3D views. The 2D door swing family is set to display in plan view, but not in elevation, section or 3D.

Login to Give a bone

Many Thanks,

I havent thought about not showing the door swings in 3D, but then someone will ask 'where are the doors!'

I will have a look on revit city.

Thanks
    Graeme

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by padgham.graeme View Post
    Many Thanks,

I havent thought about not showing the door swings in 3D, but then someone will ask 'where are the doors!'

I will have a look on revit city.

Thanks
    Graeme
    I am not sure you understood my post. All of my door families have all of the 3G geometry modeled. But only certain things are set to display on certain views. The 3D door panel is set to display only in elevation, section & 3D views (not plan views). The 3D door panel has no swing parameter set to it and it is alway shown in the closed position. With in my door family I also have a seperate 2D door swing family that is set to only display in plan view. This 2D door swing family has paramaters in it that are linked to the 3D door panel. So when I change the width of the 3D panel, the 2D swing also changes size. I also have an instance parameter in the 2D swing family to control the opening percentage, again in plan view only.

The benifit of this is that in plan the 2D swing familiy displays correctly as open so it reads, and in elevation, section and 3D views the 3D panel always displays in the closed position.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Parametric Door Swing Family

Thanks Tim,
    I still cant create what i want, and still cant seem to find anyone else that wants what i require? Maybe im going mad.
    If i can explain (maybe im not explaining myself enough)

ok.
    1. I am considering 3D views only (visuals, walkthoughs)
    2. I would like a door to be open a certain degree (ie 90deg fully open, 0deg shut.and increments inbetween.
    3. I would like door panels, glass, handles locks etc, to rotate in 3D along with the degree increments of opening.
    4. But i would still like the door width etc parametric.

I can get the swing opening to a angle, but it leaves behind the panels and handles etc, and i cannot get it parametric. (I fully admit its prob cos i dont really know enough indepth about the family editor constraints.)

I just cant find anyone who wants this.
    My primary reason is that when doing visuals all the doors are shut, i want them open. and when i do walkthoughs, i dont want to walkthough shut doors!!.

Am i missing something quite basic, i believe ADT has a door open percentage, and so does 3DMax (and Viz), but not Revit?

Help...(as im fed up with designers asking me to open all the doors and me looking like ive never used revit before, which im beggining to think might be the case.)

Login to Give a bone

I understand what you want, it should be pretty easy to do.

Glass & hardware:
    When modeling or placing these elemants make sure they are locked to the 3D door panel. that way when you change the angle of the door the hardware & glass will move with the door.

I would probably make the 3D door panel, glazing and hardware its own familiy. The insert this door panel family into your door family witch would just be the frame / opening. In your panel family create a width prameter, and when you insert the panel into the door family link the panels families width parameter to the frame opening parameter.

All AUGI, all the time eddy.lermytte's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Graeme
    I made a quick build of what i think you are looking for.
    Change value of "Opening %"
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Be warned!

Just to make sure you realise what is going to happen before you spend a lot of time and finish....

If you make your door, say, 1/2 open in 3D, there is no way (please correct me someone if Im wrong) to make you door show closed in elevation, so all your elevations will show the doors open/ closed/ 1/3 open, 1/2 open etc etc.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by alexpage View Post
    Be warned!

Just to make sure you realise what is going to happen before you spend a lot of time and finish....

If you make your door, say, 1/2 open in 3D, there is no way (please correct me someone if Im wrong) to make you door show closed in elevation, so all your elevations will show the doors open/ closed/ 1/3 open, 1/2 open etc etc.
    Not entirly true. You could use visibility controls on the geometry to make it display differently in plan, 3d, and elevation views.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast