Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Not Saved Error

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down File Not Saved Error

We recently started getting a "File not Saved" error on one of our projects when saving to central. It was working fine, then just gave that error.

We first used one users local file (fortunately there's only one person really working on it right now) and made a new central file. We just saved over the existing central and this seemed to work fine at first, save to central was functioning, etc. However, after about 2 days it started doing the "File not Saved" thing when saving to central.

This time we re-created the central and immediately the STC did not work. That's when I submitted to support and came on the forums to try to find the problem.

I saw here some mention that you shouldn't overwrite the existing central, you should just make a new one with a new name so we tried that. That seemed to work at first, so I hoped that we had fixed the problem, but after a couple hours of work the same thing happened.

I am not sure what to do next. I know we've had memory issues in the past that caused this error, but I'm pretty sure that's not it this time. We can save locally just fine, task manager shows low memory usage, and this is a small project in schematic design, so the file is only 16mb.

Does anyone know what might be happening? Have not received a response from Autodesk yet.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: File Not Saved Error

Do you have a quota on your project folder size. this usually happens to us when we reach or near that quota.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

1. Correct--do not overwrite existing Central File--make new one.
    2. Open local copy and Audit--maybe even "detach from central"
    3. Save local as central
    4. save-as local
    5.STC

see if this fixes problem.

Also, as a habit--have all users open Central file 1st thing in am, save-as to local, and save back to central.

At end of day, STC and relinquish.

Cheers....

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just a note here
    Don't open the Central, copy paste, rename then open. It will create a local and avoid issues

All AUGI, all the time davidcobi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've seen the same problem. Try closing down most of your running apps and see if it will STC ok. That's what we have to do when we run into this on one of our workstations.

It even happens when working on families. A save to the local desktop works but a save to the server doesn't when we get this issue.
    Last edited by dduarte; 2008-02-19 at 11:08 PM.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the suggestions. It shouldn't be near any folder quotas. We tried not overwriting the central, closing all open programs, etc. We can do the detach and audit thing and it seems to work for a while, but then does the same thing later on.

However, we did it a couple days ago again so we could get a journal to support with it actually messing up. Of course it has been working fine since then. Well let you know if we find anything else out.

Login to Give a bone

We have the same problem with the exception that we are almost always able to STC a few times before the "file not saved" error. Often the save will get to around 50% before the error happens. To solve this we've tried a lot:

1. Auditing, detaching from central, renaming (thus creating new backup folders), creating new local files.

2. Our IT staff has looked at the network settings and say there is no difference between the pre-problem settings and the current settings.

3. Splitting the file into two halves.

4. I've consulted with several people more expert than I (including autodesk.) Each has different initial thoughts of the source of the problem: network permissions (ie anti-virus software action), folder permissions (not enough space in the project folder), corrupt elements (we're awaiting analysis from Autodesk, old build (we've since loaded the latest build), file & folder size (this project file is the same size as another revit project and the other project has no problems - we even did a test with the same people opening up the good project and doing lots of manipulations for an hour and we couldn't get the problem to repeat itself.), groups (the bad project has a lot of groups. The good project has few (or none))

5. And some ideas found in AUGI: rebooting the server (didn't work), the 3GB switch (did this last year), shutting down other programs (didn't work).

6. I have a hunch there's a problem with something visible in our site plan. Before any of this started, the site plan was really slow. There is nothing exceptional about the site plan -- there is not a lot of line work or any topography (we constructed the site with floor elements) -- but it's barely possible to even work in this view. This afternoon I'm trying to find the bad element if it exists in the site plan.

We're desperate here. There's talk of switching this project to Autocad. Blasphemy!! Any additional suggestions will be tried.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

How many warnings do you have? What are theyre nature?
    Can you create a new central file locally then create a new local one and work on it for a while tosee if you can STC correctly?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    How many warnings do you have? What are theyre nature?
    Can you create a new central file locally then create a new local one and work on it for a while tosee if you can STC correctly?
    There are 419 warnings. None seem like file crashers. Attached is the list.

I've created local central files and there isn't a problem. We've also noticed that if only one person is accessing the central file on the network with his local file (meaning nobody is working on that project), that person can work and save to central just fine. It's when two people access the central file that we have STC problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trmpublic; 2008-02-26 at 07:51 PM.

Login to Give a bone

When this happens, can you then open the central file without any error or warning messages? Why is someone working in the central file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast