Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing: Revit + Viz + Vray

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Testing: Revit + Viz + Vray

I've been testing Revit, Viz and Vray today, to see how well the play together. So far I am very happy. Vray is an incredible fast rendering engine. Note the time on this: 2 minutes 12.7 seconds! Even with all that water!

I'm still fumbling around a bit in viz, applying materials is much tougher then Revit/ar3, but the results are stunning.

Modeling is completely Revit.

anyway.. keep an eye out for more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    SOM | New York

I could stop if I wanted to stuntmonkee's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Testing: Revit + Viz + Vray

Not familiar with V-ray but looks great. How does it work as far as applying materials, and are there possibilities of linking.

Have you tried linking a dwg file to viz and when you export from Revit you just keep the same file name? Does V-Ray work similar? I need to look in to this V-Ray.

You know, now that i think of it, is V-Ray a plug in for viz?

Login to Give a bone

Chris, do you know any programing stuffs? I'm starting to work with learning Perl to make a tool that will convert a DXF out of Revit (using the embeded x-data that contains the Accurender material ID) into Radiance files that 'know' what the materials were within Revit.

Could you do something with scripting in Viz or AutoCAD to expose the x-data and 'reset' all the surfaces to be on layers tied to their Accurender material ID's? Then you could simply export to DWG, open in Viz, run the tool, and then everything would be on a layer named by it's Accurender Material ID, making it trivial to redefine the materials...

I mean, just with the minimal research I've done so far with using DXF and Perl to do this, it doesn't seem too hard, the info is in there! It's more my very limited knowlege of Perl than anything that's keeping it from happening.

Login to Give a bone

Well you certainly won't be concerned about dry rot with that building, Chris

Nice rendering coming along - looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmonkee
    Not familiar with V-ray but looks great. How does it work as far as applying materials, and are there possibilities of linking.

Have you tried linking a dwg file to viz and when you export from Revit you just keep the same file name? Does V-Ray work similar? I need to look in to this V-Ray.

You know, now that i think of it, is V-Ray a plug in for viz?
    V-ray is a plug-in, originally designed for 3DS max,but works equally well on a VIZ platform,...Actually, it's just a rendering engine, like Mentalray or FinalRender, with the difference that it's efficient, very fast and inexpensive,...you know,.....one of those small pieces of software that pull the strings of such heavy monsters like 3DS max or viz. So all you need to do is place your building in max and have it rendered with V-ray. There are some special V-ray materials but not many, so it'll take you a day or two to learn but it's not necessary to apply them every time you decide to v-ray your view...I think that it is a wonderful combination Revit+Viz(Max)+Vray. Unfortunetely, Vray does not work with VIZ Render.....if you take any interest, http://www.vrayrender.com/.....I wouldn't dare post a picture as the above url contains plenty of marvellous renderings.

In my view, Vray is the best software out of all these simulating diffuse light (radiosity) softwares now on the market and if you ask me I would not wish to have Accurender with Revit, V-ray would be a much better choice.......

....and last but not least, it supports distributed rendering and it's a matter of a few clicks to have it initiated and see the results in a poster size.

I could stop if I wanted to stuntmonkee's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ivsim
    V-ray is a plug-in, originally designed for 3DS max,but works equally well on a VIZ platform,...Actually, it's just a rendering engine, like Mentalray or FinalRender, with the difference that it's efficient, very fast and inexpensive,...you know,.....one of those small pieces of software that pull the strings of such heavy monsters like 3DS max or viz. So all you need to do is place your building in max and have it rendered with V-ray. There are some special V-ray materials but not many, so it'll take you a day or two to learn but it's not necessary to apply them every time you decide to v-ray your view...I think that it is a wonderful combination Revit+Viz(Max)+Vray. Unfortunetely, Vray does not work with VIZ Render.....if you take any interest, http://www.vrayrender.com/.....I wouldn't dare post a picture as the above url contains plenty of marvellous renderings.

In my view, Vray is the best software out of all these simulating diffuse light (radiosity) softwares now on the market and if you ask me I would not wish to have Accurender with Revit, V-ray would be a much better choice.......

....and last but not least, it supports distributed rendering and it's a matter of a few clicks to have it initiated and see the results in a poster size.

These are the kind of images that make me feel like the stuff I do is done with crayons, and then touched up with a camera and flashlight. All very impressive. The Alien even made my desktop.

Anyway, I know you don't have to re-apply every time you render. What I'm referring to is if I change an object. With the Revit/accurender combo, materials move with your objects, and are automatically assigned when you add new objects. It just stinks to loose all of that when you have to use an outside rendering program, but it sounds like some of the more Savoy people out there are working on that issue.

My problem is that I'm looking the battle here to use Revit, because it doesn't produce the same images that Viz can put out. There is still a good chance that I will be able to use Revit as a modeling tool, so that is good, but from a time stand point it would be so beneficial to be able to not have to export and re map materials.

Just doin my part to keep the wish list alive!!!
    Stunts

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    Chris, do you know any programing stuffs? I'm starting to work with learning Perl to make a tool that will convert a DXF out of Revit (using the embeded x-data that contains the Accurender material ID) into Radiance files that 'know' what the materials were within Revit.

Could you do something with scripting in Viz or AutoCAD to expose the x-data and 'reset' all the surfaces to be on layers tied to their Accurender material ID's? Then you could simply export to DWG, open in Viz, run the tool, and then everything would be on a layer named by it's Accurender Material ID, making it trivial to redefine the materials...

I mean, just with the minimal research I've done so far with using DXF and Perl to do this, it doesn't seem too hard, the info is in there! It's more my very limited knowlege of Perl than anything that's keeping it from happening.
    Very interesting Jeffery, I have though about this, but my personal programing skills are poor. However, we have an excellent programer here in the office, that could do this. I brought this up to him today and he thinks he could do it, just needs some info. Do you have any links to white papers about the xdata in dwgs or of dwg in gerneral?

Thanks

-Z
    Chris
    SOM | New York

Login to Give a bone

Zoog, I don't.

I've been reading things on the Autodesk site, there are some links, but I haven't found anything that's Revit-Xdata specific, just things about xdata in general. It appears that xdata is a way that any application, not just Revit, and append extra data to elements within a DWG/DXF. There is code out there to 'expose' this data using LISP or VBA within AutoCAD, and from looking at the DXF in plaintext and reading some info about DXF, it looks like there is a very consistent format for how the info is organized. This data can be anything, I believe that it's how Accurender and Softdesk and other add-ons function within DWG/DXF.

Within a Revit DXF, there is an 'Accurender Material ID' followed by a long number within the Xdata for every surface. This number I'm guessing would correspond to the ODBC exported data concerning Materials. Now seeing that I simply want things broken down into separate Radiance files, based upon this Material ID, which I will then be able to very quickly link to a common radiance material file (so that a certain accurender material is a certain Radiance material, with no remapping), my application is a little simpler. You've got UV space, and other issues to deal with in Viz, so your process won't be as automatic, but at least you might be able to get a DXF/DWG that's 'by material' rather than being 'by catagory'. But this is all assuming that Accurender Material ID's within the X-data are consistent, and not unique per project...

Could someone from the factory chime in with some info? Or send us a private message that we are wasting our time, because something's in the pipe for Revit 7?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmonkee
    These are the kind of images that make me feel like the stuff I do is done with crayons, and then touched up with a camera and flashlight. All very impressive. The Alien even made my desktop.

Anyway, I know you don't have to re-apply every time you render. What I'm referring to is if I change an object. With the Revit/accurender combo, materials move with your objects, and are automatically assigned when you add new objects. It just stinks to loose all of that when you have to use an outside rendering program, but it sounds like some of the more Savoy people out there are working on that issue.

My problem is that I'm looking the battle here to use Revit, because it doesn't produce the same images that Viz can put out. There is still a good chance that I will be able to use Revit as a modeling tool, so that is good, but from a time stand point it would be so beneficial to be able to not have to export and re map materials.

Just doin my part to keep the wish list alive!!!
    Stunts
    Yeah, I think it's a small step to have it all in Revit: good modelling tool, materials mapped automatically and an effective rendering engine. When I think about this, now you have to buy a huge software like 3ds max or viz with all their modelling tools etc. only to use its rendering engine boosted by Vray. A big wish, you have, but...hardly unlikely at least for the time being.

And you don't have to be a wizzard in order to vray an outstanding image even with standard materials, the outstanding thing here are not some specific adjustments but the diffuse light which Vray so well simulates. It's what makes the images look real and attributes them a touch of space and that's what I am really so enthusiastic about !

Login to Give a bone

Great image. I would like to add something to the list of benefits of exporting to Max/Viz: Materials.

The control over materials, either parametric or bitmap is amazing.

Also, the whole export/import thing isn't so bad once you work out your export setting in Revit and I've even seen scripts for Max/Viz which will automatically assign material to imported models based on color or layer. It takes a lot of time the first few times but gets faster after that. Still, more control in this department is still a huge wishlist item.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast