Thread: Border edges will not fix! Please help!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Border edges will not fix! Please help!

First off I'd like to state what I've already done to fix this issue. Selecting all the vertices and clicking "merge" does not help. The normals won't respond to the "conform" command so I tried setting them all by hand and still not help. Cleanup does nothing...at all.

After all those I STILL can't convert my polygon object to a subdiv object. I've figured out the problem, but logically it shouldn't even exist. When i select one of the problematic edges the poly count tells me there are TWO edges. Yet when i select the vertices that contain those edges there are only 2 vertices. How is it even possible that that two 1 dimensional points can have more than one line attached to them? And better yet, how the hell am I supposed to fix a problem that shouldn't even exist?

Pardon my hysteria but I'm coming from blender3d, a FREE program that can handle this situation in an instant. I spent 3 hours last night searching for ways to clean up this damn mesh and I'm about ready to give up on Maya and go back to blender.

Also, blender has a "recalculate normals outside" command that, unlike Maya, actually works. Is there any such command in Maya or am I seriously going to have to go through and do each face by hand?

Again, sorry for being so ****** off, but its ridiculous that my free software can fix this problem in under 3 seconds and I've had to spend 3-4 hours on Google and still can't get the mesh to work on Maya...

EDIT: Heres what I mean.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/7716992
    Last edited by mrhahn530; 2008-02-21 at 07:18 PM.