Thread: LAYISO served in an HOURGLASS!

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy LAYISO served in an HOURGLASS!

Hello,

I'm having this annoying problem in Acad 2008 where the first time upon using LAYISO after starting autocad I get an hourglass for about 10 seconds. After this the command seems to work normal until I close down autocad completely and then reload - then it does it again. I don't recall this happening when I first upgraded to '08 although I could be wrong.

For the record, I'm using winXP sp2, dual core AMD w/ 3GB ram.

I also get a little, although less annoying, pause when using the DTEXT command or XREF command for the first time in any session as well.

Any thoughts on this?

Thx,

-Brian

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LAYISO served in an HOURGLASS!

I just fixed it. Didn't realize autodesk issued a service pack which appears to have fixed all the issues I brought up and made all my wildest dreams come true.

Edit: Actually on reboot it still does pause at the commands I spoke of above but now it only does it on the first session - if I close autocad completely then re-open everything works fast as it should just not on first session now.
    Last edited by brianinprescott; 2008-02-29 at 05:29 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Could be that old 'layer filter" bug - some drawings have accumulated thousands of layer filters, which bog down the layer commands. If your default drawing has this error, its going to keep causing problems every time you open it until you get it cleaned up. Do a search on "delete layer filter" and there are several excellent posts and some lisp routines to clear it up. I'm sorry I can't remember if they are here or on the Autodesk boards.
    I think part of the problem with those layer filters is that some of the names contain ANSI characters, which hang up the whole process of reading through them. But it could simply be that there are so many of them. If you've ever gotten a drawing like this (I used to get them repeatedly from a couple of customers at big time arch/engineering firms - you'd think they'd know better) you will be banging your head on the keyboard in frustration until you discover that is the problem.
    Hope that helps,
    Jules

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by julesagain View Post
    Could be that old 'layer filter" bug - some drawings have accumulated thousands of layer filters, which bog down the layer commands. If your default drawing has this error, its going to keep causing problems every time you open it until you get it cleaned up. Do a search on "delete layer filter" and there are several excellent posts and some lisp routines to clear it up. I'm sorry I can't remember if they are here or on the Autodesk boards.
    I think part of the problem with those layer filters is that some of the names contain ANSI characters, which hang up the whole process of reading through them. But it could simply be that there are so many of them. If you've ever gotten a drawing like this (I used to get them repeatedly from a couple of customers at big time arch/engineering firms - you'd think they'd know better) you will be banging your head on the keyboard in frustration until you discover that is the problem.
    Hope that helps,
    Jules
    yes it is possible, but in AutoCAD 08 they implemented a feature that when the number of layer filters exceed the number of layers, it deletes them all automatically (when you click ok)

Login to Give a bone

I"m beginning to think it's not related to autocad but maybe my computer. I'm having one screen on a different program kinda freeze up for about 20 seconds and on my laptop which is far inferior to my main desktop it takes it only about 3 seconds. So maybe somethig is screwey w/ the new 'puter.