See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Sheet Set Manager in AutoCAD LT

Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet Set Manager in AutoCAD LT

Description: I would like AutoCAD LT to have the Sheet Set Manager.

How Used: this will allow LT users to utilize the benefits of large quantity sheet sets with fellow AutoCAD Full users.

Submitted By: Tannar Frampton on February 6, 2008

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet Set Manager in AutoCAD LT

Description: I would like AutoCAD LT to have the Sheet Set Manager.
    AutoCAD LT with SSM already exists, it's called AutoCAD....
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2008-10-28 at 12:01 PM.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

I would love to see the SSM incorporated into LT. In my company there are only a couple of drafters who are on a full copy of AutoCAD and I have spent the last year and a half learning and developing a very efficient system with the SSM but the Engineers in my office don't like the idea because they do not have the ability to work with the SSM. It would defiantly be a great addition for LT users ability to keep track of there drawing sets and for printing. It would be highly benefical to all firms like mine where the majority of the employees only use LT to do a small amount of drafting but mostly viewing and printing. I do believe that if everyone had better access to the SSM more people would be using it. In the year and a half I have been working with the SSM I have only come up with one complaint. (I think that is pretty good considering I have explored every feature that I possibly could). I personally own a copy of LT at home and would greatly benefit from having the SSM available in the LT versions.

I would have to argue that the organizational and printing features of the SSM are fundamental elements of basic drafting responsibilities. The SSM ability to control sheet numbers, sheet titles, views and plan callouts are all basic responsibilities of a 2D drafter. They should have access to such a time saving and beneficial tool without having to bear the heavy financial burden that comes with a full version of AutoCAD. I strongly support adding the SSM to the LT version.

Jared
    CAD Drafter

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jared.122693 View Post
    I would love to see the SSM incorporated into LT...
    It would defiantly be a great addition for LT users...
    It would be highly benefical to all firms like mine...
    I personally own a copy of LT at home and would greatly benefit from having the SSM...
    I don't think anyone is against this, but where does LT stop?
    People want SSM, others want network licensing, 3D, express tools, API support, etc. The more features they include, the higher the price of LT and the more they cut into sales of AutoCAD. Good luck.

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Sheet Set Manager in AutoCAD LT

Quote Originally Posted by jared.122693 View Post
    I have spent the last year and a half learning and developing a very efficient system with the SSM
    Jared, would you be will to share the best steps to using and implementing a sheet set into something useful? I'm trying to use it and am frustrated that you can only target one .dwt for a template. I was thinking that 5 .dwt files would be great to use...(1.) Title Sheet, (2.) Index Sheet, (3.) P&P Sheets, (4.) Detail Sheet, (5.) Erosion Control Sheet. We are trying to use it for wastewater and storm projects with AtuoCAD 2008, but I'm not getting the benefits out of it. Any suggestions on this? I would be grateful with new ideals on how to approach in starting to us this feature.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    I don't think anyone is against this, but where does LT stop?
    People want SSM, others want network licensing, 3D, express tools, API support, etc. The more features they include, the higher the price of LT and the more they cut into sales of AutoCAD. Good luck.
    Last year ( 2008 ) I was asked to do a survey for AutoDesk in which I was asked about Add-Ons a user could purchase to bring more functionality from the full version of AutoCAD into AutoCAD LT

I think this is a great idea and I have my fingers crossed it happens in the coming year or next year at the latest.

Another good option would be a bridge software package perhaps called AutoCAD LT Plus
    which could contain everything from AutoCAD minus the 3D.

I personally think users should be buying the full AutoCAD product if they want to use 3D or at least have one full copy in their office that 3d work can be done on.

This would probably make end users very happy and AutoCAD would be seen to be trying to cater to nearly everyones needs.
    Last edited by mmcarthur; 2009-04-06 at 06:42 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmcarthur View Post
    Another good option would be a bridge software package perhaps called AutoCAD LT Plus
    which could contain everything from AutoCAD minus the 3D.
    I don't see that happening. Think about it from Autodesk's point of view. Having a product like this could only hurt them, because sales of it would cut into sales of full AutoCAD. Why would they want to sell a $2500 product to "Joe User", when they can sell a $4000 product to the same customer?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    I don't see that happening. Think about it from Autodesk's point of view. Having a product like this could only hurt them, because sales of it would cut into sales of full AutoCAD. Why would they want to sell a $2500 product to "Joe User", when they can sell a $4000 product to the same customer?
    There is always users who won't upgrade to the Full version becuase for the extra cost it's just not worth it.

In our office we have 2 copies of Full AutoCAD but all other draftsmen will use AutoCAD LT.

We would then keep the 2 full versions and upgrading everyone else to the bridge product if it was available.

I'm sure there are many offices out there that are in a similar situation.

Login to Give a bone

The trouble is that many LT users see just one feature in full acad that they would like to have and so they "wish" that that one feature would be added to LT.
    If adesk were to concede to these wishes (which they do, occasionally) then LT would eventually become full acad.
    There's no technical justification for the existence of LT yet alone there being a difference in price, it's purely a marketing ploy.