Thread: Naming convention for linestyles

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Naming convention for linestyles

Hi,
    I have just finished my Revit Essential course. When we went through linestyles etc he said that a good way to name your Linestyles for example Sol1, Sol2, Hdn1,Hdn2 etc where the number represent the pen number.
    Maybe it is because I am still "stuck" in AutoCAD mode but it I would think that naming your line after your the actual pen width would be more appropriate i.e. Sol35,Hdn35 where the number represent 3.5mm pen width.
    How are you guys naming your linestyles? Are you creating a linestyle for different object i.e. you have different linestyles for lines that you use if it is concrete or steel?

Thanks
    Jonas

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Naming convention for linestyles

Can I add to your request for information can you create custom line styles like in AutoCAD i.e.

GAS ------ G -------- G --------- G ---------
    Foul Water ------ FW -------- FW --------- FW ---------
    Surface Water ------ SW -------- SW --------- SW ---------

Etc.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Revit has line weight numbered 1 thru 16. We have our solid lines named simply by their line weight, i.e. 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 11. Then there are the Revit system line styles like <Overhead>, <Centerline>, <Hidden>, etc. We also have a few others like Flashing (a heavier dashed line), travel distance lines in life safety plans (an even heavier double dashed line), etc.

We don't really put the line weight number in the line style name except for the standard solid lines.

I'm not really familiar with AutoCAD line style conventions at all, so this way seems completely natural to me.

Keep in mind that Revit's line weights plot differently depending on the view scale of the drawing, but then perspective line weights and annotation line weights are view scale independent. So the old AutoCAD convention doesn't really make sense in Revit. To have a look at or edit line weight widths for each view scale, go to Settings > Line Weights.

But it's not AutoCAD, and in my opinion you shouldn't try to force it to act like AutoCAD. Learn the Revit way, and you'll be much happier.

Login to Give a bone

Personally I'd like to use object based linestyles. After all Revit is an object based modeller. Seems to give more control this way. Every line can be overriden in views by filters, and overrides. So it seems natural to me to treat lines as if they were just another type of model entity. We do currently use our lines like pens (old AutoCAD habbits die hard), but it is something I would like to see changed within our practice. All new work I've been doing has adoped using object based lines and for me it seems to be better. So DPM for my membranes, Concrete for concrete, etc etc. within drafting views.

When all said and done a 0.5 line isn't always a 0.5mm thick line as Patricks pointed out. Can get confusing for people new to the software who are expecting lineweights to stay the same. "I chose a 0.5 line but its plotting at 0.35mm".

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input.
    I know you can set different line weights depending on view scale. Is this something that you do? At the moment I have not been manipulating the line weights for the different scales.
    I am leaning towards naming the lines as Solid35, Solid25, Hidden35, Hidden25 etc but also have some lines styles for objects such as Reo Top, Reo Btm.

Thanks
    Jonas

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jhniopek View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    I know you can set different line weights depending on view scale. Is this something that you do? At the moment I have not been manipulating the line weights for the different scales.
    I am leaning towards naming the lines as Solid35, Solid25, Hidden35, Hidden25 etc but also have some lines styles for objects such as Reo Top, Reo Btm.

Thanks
    Jonas
    Have you checked Settings > Line Weights? I'm pretty sure it's set up by default to have different line thicknesses for each weight number depending on the view scale.

Revit has a set number of line weights (1 to 16), so to me it seems natural to just have line styles set up with the same number as the name. Most of the time in my details I use weight 5 for cut items and weight 2 or 3 for projected items, and then 1 or <Beyond> for objects farther back.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah I know they were different for the different view scales.

I guess I am to stuck in AutoCAD mode. But the way I see it if you draw a line you wanted it to be a certain width. Say I draw my reinforcing I wanted the width to be 0.5mm. In AutoCAD I used the same layer for reinforcing drawn on a plan 1:100 or a detail 1:20.
    Depending on what we draw the cut line may different for 2 different objects. If I draw a rafter fixing detail to a block wall the steel lines are heavier than say the block work lines.
    I do understand how Revit set up with respect to line widths and lifestyles and it is pretty good as it gives you greater flexibility.
    Thanks for your input.
    Jonas

Login to Give a bone

hmm well I guess it's just me not really knowing AutoCAD. I have no clue what our current line weight widths are, and I never even think of them in terms of actual measurement. I just know that I like to use weight 5 for cut lines, weight 11 for sheet grid lines, weight 8 for other title block lines, and so on.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jhniopek View Post
    Yeah I know they were different for the different view scales.

I guess I am to stuck in AutoCAD mode. But the way I see it if you draw a line you wanted it to be a certain width. Say I draw my reinforcing I wanted the width to be 0.5mm. In AutoCAD I used the same layer for reinforcing drawn on a plan 1:100 or a detail 1:20.
    Depending on what we draw the cut line may different for 2 different objects. If I draw a rafter fixing detail to a block wall the steel lines are heavier than say the block work lines.
    I do understand how Revit set up with respect to line widths and lifestyles and it is pretty good as it gives you greater flexibility.
    Thanks for your input.
    Jonas
    Note that in Revit you also have to conside export to DWG settings. Each linestyle will export to a coresponding AutoCAD layer. That is where the object based linestyles are helpful.