See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Structure; Revit Architecture -> Revit Structure

Login to Give a bone

Default Wood Structure; Revit Architecture -> Revit Structure

We are trying our first project using the architects Revit model but are coming across what seems to be a lot of problems. I have read through many threads here and have not been able to find an answer. Those threads that are asking the same questions I have, always seem to change subjects before the original question is ever answered.

I will keep this simple, does anyone copy/monitor the WALLS from a Revit Architecture model for a WOOD building or do you just redraw them in the structural model? If you do copy/monitor, do you do a lot of wall flipping and moving to get the core wall in the right location?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wood Structure; Revit Architecture -> Revit Structure

When usin CM you can swap a type for another, that should be quikcker then recreating them.

Login to Give a bone

I've done that but what's happening is that I swap the Architects wall (10" total) with a 2x6 wall. The 2x6 wall then comes in using the location line = wall centerline which is incorrect. The 2x6 wall is not centered on the Architects wall. So I created a temp wall that was 10" wide with 4" + 5 1/2" stud area + 1/2". I then change the location line to core face: exterior. Then change that temp family to the 2x6 family. Problem with this is that some walls have to be flipped. This seems way too time consuming and difficult for something that should be easy.

Login to Give a bone

The problem comes from the archtectural file were the did not use the right location line. Don't use CM if it's a nig issue, redraw and lock/align to the arch model when necessary. But that will be time consuming.
    It would be worth having a meeting with the arch and explaining to them.

Login to Give a bone

We did that too. Had a meeting with the Architect to change all his location lines to core: exterior and to make sure all his wall were oriented correctly so we wouldn't have to flip them. He fixed all the location lines for us and made all the walls bearing, but every wall that gets copied, has the location line to wall centerline.

Login to Give a bone

Did you try removing the original wall and re CM?

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Dude I have the exact same problem. I've ran into more problems then help with Copy/Monitor. So far I've used it (attempted to) on 3 projects. Each one I ended up just putting a section box on a 3d view and nudged it around the project looking to see whats changed. Its really a pain. I feel for you.

I've love a better tip myself.

Btw... You should be able to use the align tool, just hover over their wall face and tab away until you find the wall.

Login to Give a bone

I have tried removing the original wall and re-c/m, but no luck. Has anyone been able to c/m a wall and the location line been anywhere but wall centerline?

Thanks for the tip scowsert. But we are trying to make the two programs work flawless as possible since that's what they are supposed to do. I'm just surprised more people haven't had the problem AND that more people haven't got the answer. I wonder if a support request to Autodesk wouldn't help.

Login to Give a bone

Submit it to support, thats a major issue

Login to Give a bone

From Autodesk

"Thank you for contacting Autodesk Support. I am very sorry for the delay as we have been very busy this week. Unfortunately walls that are copy/monitored will be based on the centerline of the wall. There is an existing item logged with our development team to enhance this feature in a future release - I will be more than happy to add your firm to the list of users requesting such an enhancement. Also, if you would like to leave feedback on this functionality directly to the Revit Product Management team, I encourage you to do so at http://www.autodesk.com/feedback. They take this site very seriously and any comments are helpful for us to make better products. I apologize for the inconvenience that this causes you - if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know."

Answered my question, unfortunately I was hoping for a fix. Maybe with the next release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast