Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebar Plans/Detail Componets/Schedules

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Rebar Plans/Detail Componets/Schedules

I am currently doing to some tests of how I going to set up our Reinforcing Plans. It seems that Revit's Reinforcing tools at geared toward area reinforcing, and not so much for additional reinforcing that occurs at columns, mid-span and at openings, which is what our reinforcing plans show. I don't want go around and draw a 10'-0"x10'-0" box around each column defining that columns additional bars. So one thought was I could create a componet for each bar type and then I could schedule those componets. My question is can you schedule detail componet or does this have to be a model componet? I would prefer to place these lines as detail componets, because I feel there is less chance of things getting screwed up. But in the tests that I have done it doesn't seem like you can't schedule these componets. Also if anyone has a better idea, or a suggestion how to set up these plans I am open to them.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rebar Plans/Detail Componets/Schedules

I was presently surprised to find that Revit has a detail component already set up for this(distributed bar and stagger bar), so that answers that portion. I am still curious can you schedule detail components, because I would like to use these and also have Revit generate the schedule.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, you can tag and schedule them using shared parameters.

Login to Give a bone

I must be missing something, because I can't seem to generate a schedule for the detail components. Basically what I have done is taken the "Distributed Rebar" detail component and made a couple tweaks to it so that it was a type driven. This way I could create all the needed types. I then added 2 text type, shared parameters called "Reinforcement" and "Remarks". This way I could fill the correct information for each type and have it show up in the schedule. I then created a multi-category schedule that included these new shared parameters, and what I get is a blank schedule. No information shows up in the "Reinforcement" or "Remarks". I have a attached a Revit file that has the schedule and the detail component. I also attached the text file that contains the shared parameters. If anyone wants to take I look I would be grateful
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I will be interested to see how you develop your plans. We feel there is "additional reinforcing" tools missing as well for concentrated reinforcing at beams etc.
    We also create structural wall elevations and show the "additional reinforcing" on each wall elevation. Although, at this time we are not overly concerned with scheduling rebar for quantity, we do "schedule" more like a legend to show number/pattern of bars/ties.
    To show our "addition reinforcing" we place the rebar and apply a layout. (hopefully they will add a layout rule that will do number of bars in both directions). This way we can tag it on our wall elevations and plan with coordination between the two. So, this is very time consuming but it works out okay.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I think I'm mistaken about the ability to schedule these components. Tagging yes, but scheduling no. Sorry about the confusion. Anyone, please jump in and correct me if this is not the case.

Login to Give a bone

I have attached a PDF of a Typical Reinforcing Plan so you can see how our plans are developed, and what I am trying to accomplish. Typically what we show is a single callout for the typical mat reinforcing for instance "#5 @ 12" EW". Then we schedule all other additional top and bottom reinforcing. The way our drawings are read, which is shown in a typical detail, is a bar callout at the column extends 5'-0" on either side of the column, and a callout mid span fills the area between the columns. Additional bars that don't follow these rules will get extent arrows to show there extents. If that doesn't make sense let me know I will send you a couple of sketches to describe it better.

Since I didn't want to model a bunch of small reinforcing areas at the columns and mid spans. I created a generic model family which is just a symbolic line and a couple of text parameters which I filled out for each type. It is this text parameter that I had Revit schedule. It all worked pretty well because if the bar changed all I had to do was change the type and the length and mark got updated. The only draw back was that I had to put my generic rebar family in at the cut plane or else they would get obscured by the columns and walls in section. So what I would really like to do is use the detail component that Revit supplies, but I can't seem to get it to schedule.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by djn; 2007-05-09 at 07:45 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

You could constrain some detail components to your generic model family, which would remove having to worry about visibility being obscured by other model elements.

If I may, I can share a few thoughts on this (detailing rebar)...

I spent some effort on this about a year ago when RS4 first made it possible to tag detail items. Creating a collection of flexible schematic rebar families to cover all your needs is no small task, so hats off!. They are hybrid in nature...annotation and detail components combined to respond to view scale as well as model geometry.

For what it's worth, I put the project aside in the face of other issues that needed solutions...our method of linking this sort of thing from Acad was/is working well enough for the time being. The chorus of people wanting this has the factory working on it, so I felt it was just a matter of time before my effort was made redundant, and that I could afford the wait.

With respect to scheduling, there's a lot of rebar on any job that's covered in typical details, notes, etc which never sees the light of day in the model...BIM purists may be aghast, but that's our current reality. My point is that there could be a substantial gap between what a schedule tells you is in the model and what is actually required to build it.

Lastly, I was a bit freaked-out at how easy it was for the rebar to flex with changes to the model. At first I thought "Cool!" which was soon followed by "Yikes!". How "alive" do you want this information to be? I began to feel it was actually dangerous. Your office workflow may be such that this is not an issue, but consider carefully.

Hope you find this information useful.
    Regards,

I could stop if I wanted to Adam Mac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Rebar Plans/Detail Componets/Schedules

Hi Jos -

just wanted to thank you for your input! It's certainly given me some food for thought.

Adam

Login to Give a bone

I'm trying to tag and schedule our slab reinforcing similar to what DJN showed in his attachment "Typical Reinforcing Plan.pdf". It seems that this issue is still unresolved. Please help.

I do not want to show every reinforcing bar on the slab, that creates a cluttered mess. We want to show bars diagrammatically similar to path reinforcement. However you can't schedule path reinforcement adequately.

The other option is to create detail components to show the reinforcing, but again you supposedly can't schedule detail components.

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast