Thread: Inventor 2008 insertion constraints on curve surfaces.

Login to Give a bone

Default Inventor 2008 insertion constraints on curve surfaces.

Posted this yesterday under 'Collaboration Tools' in 'Inventor View Support' and got no response so far - guess it was wrong forum?
    Q. How to constrain tubes through wall of another larger dia at 90° to axis (& other angles too perhaps). I've wrestled with this and cannot get any joy with work planes so to get by I created a sq section 'ghost part' to position in iam inside large tube with holes in surface at the positions the tubes need to intersect. This enables to set concentricity & insertion depth but it's mighty cumbersome & causes problems not least with mass property despite ticking suppress/not enabled etc, as well as having visibility off for planting idw views (frustration with representation views concept too). I thought being either or both suppressed & not enabled would subtract the mass value from the assembly? These things weigh scores of tonnes!
    Would be truly impressed if anyone could explain the easy solution to these irritations, 'coos I'm sure there is one. As my instructor told me ages, '....if it's difficult you're doing it the wrong way'!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor 2008 insertion constraints on curve surfaces.

Can you post it?

As far as the Mass Properties go, you could set the BOM structure for the "ghost part" to "Reference". That will remove it from the mass calculations. You will have to disable its visibility in the idw. For some of my assemblies, I create a skeleton sketch that defines the positions for assembly items. Since the sketch has no mass, the assembly properties are not affected.

Again, an example or picture would help greatly, if you are able.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for input about setting ‘ghost’ item in BoM structure to ‘ref’. Not actually tried it yet, but seems logical thing to do so will catch up later.
    Meanwhile tried your suggestion of creating ‘skeleton’ sketch on which to define positions of parts in iam but couldn’t find how to sketch in iam. Can’t post actual client’s job for confidentiality but this is replica. It incorporates a method I’ve tried since I posted this thread, which I believe maybe is solution.
    Each flange stub in the iam needs three constraints (mate offset, concentricity, and angle) and my difficulty has been to find a method of controlling the insertion depth because there is only one co-planar cut edge to use as a ref in the grounded cylinder.
    Trying yet again to find solution I discovered could use ‘mate’ to constraint end face of flange stub to XY work plane in grounded part, with +offset roughly equal to radius of cylinder. That constrained the part in correct attitude relative to the XY plane. Then found ‘tangent’ constrained cylindrical portion of flange relative to hole through main cylinder and selecting ‘inside tangent’ constrained it concentric. The third constraint required is ‘angle’ which is achieved by lining up the XY-XZ planes of the two parts.
    It’s probably early yet to expect much other response on this thread, most being off for w/e, but I’ve been stuck on this some time and have a lot of similar assemblies to finish incl some having stubs penetrate domed caps, so determined to find a way somehow. Otherwise, I’m surprised there has not previously been anything on this topic because it is quite basic and must crop very frequently. Perhaps others found the way directly to the method. Basically I previously missed how to use work plane to distance off and complicated things by creating ‘ghost’ parts for ref surfaces. I pass this on for what it may be worth.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

First thing I noticed is that your Sketch1 is not constrained or making any use of symmetry about the origin. This is usually covered in the first 10 minutes of class on sketching in Inventor.

Before you continue I would read this document, http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

then we can get in to skeletal modeling and derived component techniques that will make this problem trivial.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks JDM for your comprehensive help, I’m sure studying material I shall learn sound techniques for future use on models. After ½ lifetime on board switched to CAD with CV5 etc, then began IV with V5 3mth trial & subscribed to own IV7 & upgrades/courses since. Company-wise majority of time was on ACAD, only since becoming freelance in later life am using it. Not too late to learn but shall never know entirety!

But I would like to know just now how to create a custom balloon (for parts list) We’d like a balloon displaying item quantity yet don’t like the option one in styles library where the balloon is divided top/bottom with both figures same font size. Our old manual balloons indicated a reduced size quantity figure, close to outside of balloon approx 5 o’clock. What would be the routine on that?