Thread: TEXTMASK v. WIPEOUT

Login to Give a bone

Default TEXTMASK v. WIPEOUT

I've been using the WIPEOUT command to mask text. The TEXTMASK command eliminates drawing a box around the text to be masked - done in 1/4 the time. To unmask the text use TEXTUNMASK.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: TEXTMASK v. WIPEOUT

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhill View Post
    I've been using the WIPEOUT command to mask text. The TEXTMASK command eliminates drawing a box around the text to be masked - done in 1/4 the time. To unmask the text use TEXTUNMASK.
    You can also use a textmask on dimensions as well. It is found on the dimension style dialog, on the TEXT tab, fill color.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: TEXTMASK v. WIPEOUT

I'd like to submit a word (or more) of caution regarding the use of TEXTMASK or WIPEOUT in drawings. Certain printer drivers will actually print the wipeout or textmask as a black-filled shape rather than as white or background color, completely obliterating the text or object it was intended to mask. I've seen this primarily with more recent Hewlett-Packard drivers use for their Laserjet series.
    Of special note is the use of TEXTMASK or WIPEOUT on drawings that will potentially be printed and possibly submitted to a customer as an Adobe PDF file. The masks will show up just fine when viewing the PDF, but once printed will again be black-filled shapes. This again is dependent upon the print driver being used by the outside party. Since we have no control over what drivers our clients are using, we've opted to use MTEXT background masking over the TEXTMASK tool. Finding a good WIPEOUT replacement has been a challenge. One option is to use a standard solid-filled hatch shape with a unique color assigned (I generally use color 255) that can then be mapped through the CTB file to a color with shade set to "0".

If anyone has another workaround or knows if this issue has been resolved in later versions of AutoCAD (or ACAD Express Tools), please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren View Post
    You can also use a textmask on dimensions as well. It is found on the dimension style dialog, on the TEXT tab, fill color.
    I believe the "textmask" command is different than "text background mask" you're referring to.
    The "textmask" command is basically a quick way to add a wipeout behind the text, group it, and turn wipeout frame off.
    Quote Originally Posted by mspool View Post
    I'd like to submit a word (or more) of caution regarding the use of TEXTMASK or WIPEOUT in drawings. Certain printer drivers will actually print the wipeout or textmask as a black-filled shape rather than as white or background color, completely obliterating the text or object it was intended to mask. I've seen this primarily with more recent Hewlett-Packard drivers use for their Laserjet series.
    Of special note is the use of TEXTMASK or WIPEOUT on drawings that will potentially be printed and possibly submitted to a customer as an Adobe PDF file. The masks will show up just fine when viewing the PDF, but once printed will again be black-filled shapes. This again is dependent upon the print driver being used by the outside party. Since we have no control over what drivers our clients are using, we've opted to use MTEXT background masking over the TEXTMASK tool. Finding a good WIPEOUT replacement has been a challenge. One option is to use a standard solid-filled hatch shape with a unique color assigned (I generally use color 255) that can then be mapped through the CTB file to a color with shade set to "0".

If anyone has another workaround or knows if this issue has been resolved in later versions of AutoCAD (or ACAD Express Tools), please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike, see my comment above to Brenda.
    Not sure if this is what you're referring to or what version of Autocad you're using.
    But as Brenda mentioned, this particular function adds a mask behind mtext that is not a wipeout and can be selected within dimension styles too.

I believe the Text Background Mask came out in 05 or 06 and I don't think it creates those black boxes you're referring to when printing a pdf.

Look into "MTEXTMASK.lsp" here, it's a routine that quickly does what can be done out of the box with masking mtext.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I believe the "textmask" command is different than "text background mask" you're referring to.
    The "textmask" command is basically a quick way to add a wipeout behind the text, group it, and turn wipeout frame off.

Mike, see my comment above to Brenda.
    Not sure if this is what you're referring to or what version of Autocad you're using.
    But as Brenda mentioned, this particular function adds a mask behind mtext that is not a wipeout and can be selected within dimension styles too.

I believe the Text Background Mask came out in 05 or 06 and I don't think it creates those black boxes you're referring to when printing a pdf.

Look into "MTEXTMASK.lsp" here, it's a routine that quickly does what can be done out of the box with masking mtext.
    Ted,

You are correct. My reply was really directed at Jimmy's initial post (Sorry, I should have quoted it). The method Brenda is using for dimension text or MTEXT is the same method I prefer to use for text masking. What Jimmy is using is the WIPEOUT command and it's deriviative TEXTMASK (which were Express Tools prior to their integration into AutoCAD). Using these commands, in my experience, has resulted in the printing issue I've described.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: TEXTMASK v. WIPEOUT

Quote Originally Posted by mspool View Post

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

I have that exact problem in the office where I work. (Using AutoCAD 2004) We have resorted to just eliminating all textmasking and dealing with having hard to read text. We are currently integrating AutoCAD 2008 into our new drawings, but we still have many projects in 2004. Do you have another solution for this problem? (Besides using standard solid-filled hatch shapes.) I will try using that first, but I am interested in any other information you may have on the subject.

Thanks,

Matt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Millerman View Post
    Mike,

I have that exact problem in the office where I work. (Using AutoCAD 2004) We have resorted to just eliminating all textmasking and dealing with having hard to read text. We are currently integrating AutoCAD 2008 into our new drawings, but we still have many projects in 2004. Do you have another solution for this problem? (Besides using standard solid-filled hatch shapes.) I will try using that first, but I am interested in any other information you may have on the subject.

Thanks,

Matt
    Matt,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I am still new to these AUGI forums and I don't check them daily (or even weekly) as I should. I need to get a primer on how to get automatic updates, especially from threads I've posted to .

Regarding text masking, the best solution I have found is to use the background masking option available with MTEXT, as mentioned in the previous posts. For general masking of other ACAD objects, the solid-fill hatch shape works very well.

I really haven't tested the TEXTMASK or WIPEOUT commands in AutoCAD 2008 or 2009 to determine if the printing issue I described above is now resolved. I will look into it and post my findings here.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

Login to Give a bone

I agree with Mike, above; we have found that the background mask option, within MText, is the best solution - PLUS .. it has the added bonus of automatically changing if you are to change the text!