View Poll Results: Improve the Organization of Fittings and Add More Fitting Types

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I definitely need this.

22 73.33%
  • This would be useful.

8 26.67%
  • Nice idea, but I would not use it.

0 0%
  • No, this is not needed, please work on another feature.

0 0%
  • This can already be done.

0 0%

Thread: Piping, anyone?

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Piping, anyone?

To anyone with a piping design background, it is obvious that the Piping section of MEP was not created by someone who designs PROCESS piping. Just the (dis)organization of the pipe fittings (WHY are flanges under caps and plugs? Anyone? Anyone?) makes me cringe everytime I have to go look for fittings!

I propose that for the next go around, AutoDesk get a consultant review group to look over how the stuff is organized. (And yes, I will volunteer!) And get more folks who have process piping as their specialty to be involved (Hazen and Sawyer, HDR, etc.) I work for a small firm, and we love what MEP can do for us, but it would be awesome to make it even more powerful for us process types (and would surely sell itself even better!).

AutoCAD MEP 2008 SP1
    Windows XP SP2

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Piping, anyone?

I agree, I'm also beginning to implement MEP to use in our process department. I'm finding that building the piping routing preferences and components can be tedious at best. For example I need to build a swagelok system and the default fitting templates just won't work for a compression type fitting. I certainly don't want to make a block based part for each fitting and size ranges. I also need to find a way to use the conduit elbow (bend) in certain piping systems. I find even the glued system is not really great either. I mean where is the typical true union ball valve everyone uses for PVC / CPVC? I'm looking at building a dozen of new piping systems to use in our field (semiconductor facilities).

Michael Walsh
    M+W Zander US Ops. Inc.
    Phoenix, AZ

Login to Give a bone

Michael, you used to be able to download CAD files direct from Swagelok. (We did this for years, using the CAD Blocks from Thomas Register). The last time I used them, they had 3D blocks available, and that was 3 years or so ago. Perhaps they have a catalog built now?

Good luck! I am just beginning to go to our "preferred" manufacturer's websites to glean what 3D blocks I can for pumps, fittings, etc. Seepex has SAT files, and I made that work pretty darn good!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri_in_CA View Post
    I work for a small firm, and we love what MEP can do for us, but it would be awesome to make it even more powerful for us process types (and would surely sell itself even better!).
    There are 2 ways to convey your needs. First, use AUGI's wishlist system found at the bottom of the ACA/MEP community page. Second, submit it directly to Autodesk. Click on Communication Center and at the bottom is the Feedback button. The advantage of AUGI's system is that users vote on your wish to establish popularity.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for adding the poll....I could not figure out how to add it as an edit to the thread!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri_in_CA View Post
    Thank you for adding the poll....I could not figure out how to add it as an edit to the thread!
    My pleasure.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks,

The blocks from swagelok are way to detailed with hundreds of polygons or faces. I have some good clean blocks I converted from cell libraries used with PipeGen / MK3Dpipe. I talked to a tech from imaginit and he said I should make block based parts for each fitting and size. Once I get the hang of it I hope it goes faster, right now I'm struggling with the creation of custom content.

Login to Give a bone

What would be useful is if there was a catalogue for each different manufacturer with their specific fittings. As I work in the UK, the US standards are not particularly useful...and our UK metric version doesn't actually work (!) I have seen the above system implemented by a Bentley program called AutoPlant. That program is far too complicated however. If the catalogues from AutoPlant were in MEP, MEP would be 100% more useful.

Login to Give a bone

Piping is a little bit of a learning curve. When you get the procedure down and become familiar with the menus and locations it becomes a lot easier. Sometimes you may have a little bit of a problem making things work but in the long run it is well worth it. Keep on keeping on.

Login to Give a bone

I definatly agree... What about Reducing tee's & 90's in the cast Iron chapter. Does any contractor use only straight tee's, then a close nipple & reducing coupling to acheve a smaller pipe size??? No. This is just a lazy design on the part of Autodesk to acheve a result. Very much in need of reducing tee's & 90's