Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favourite programs/tools that help get the job done

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question What are some of your favourite programs/tools that help get the job done

What are some of your favorite programs/tools (not cad) that help you perform
    your daily job tasks????

For example......I love the fact the XP toolbar can contain a folder link
    to my Acad drawings. What else can I put on the toolbars??

I also currently use pdf995 to make quick and painless PDF files.

Not sure how to use Microsoft clipboard manager, that thing scares me.

Any thoughts?? Any freeware?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: What are some of your favourite programs/tools that help get the job done

Quote Originally Posted by rhall.72202
    What are some of your favorite programs/tools (not cad) that help you perform
    your daily job tasks????

For example......I love the fact the XP toolbar can contain a folder link
    to my Acad drawings. What else can I put on the toolbars??

Any thoughts?? Any freeware?
    I like the folder links on the taskbar in xp. I also like windows power toys like Tweak UI.

Looking for freeware? Go to nonags.com, they have just about every type of program you'd ever need, and they have a ranking system to tell you which are the best.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What are some of your favourite programs/tools that help get the job done

There are a couple of tools that I like to use for accessing programs and keeping my desktop clean of icons.

Objectdock by Stardock
    ObjectDock is a program that allows you to have a nice animated launchbar/taskbar on your screen that reacts to your mouse when you mouse over it. In short, it's a task bar and program launcher that does it with style.
    There are two versions, free and pay. I use the free one.

The second one is KK Menu. It can be used in conjunction with Objectdock or with any shortcut icon. I use it in my quick launch toolbar in win2k. To work with windows 2000 you will need the gdiplus.dll file. You can download it here dll-files.com.

Also you can go to Wincustomize.com to get really nice icons for objectdock. Here is a couple of nice ones for AutoCAD.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What are some of your favourite programs/tools that help get the job done

1. Novell NetWare - as I posted in another forum, our server has been up continuously now for 405 days. It just doesn't break.
    2. Apache web server - if running under Linux, set it and forget it.
    3. Cyrus IMAP mail server - ditto, although the setup is challenging.
    4. Hylafax fax server - receives faxes thru a modem, converts them to pdf, and emails the result. Slick.
    5. Firefox web browser - automatic popup blocking, and fast, no-fuss browsing.
    6. Thunderbird mail client - works great with our IMAP server.

BTW, items 2 through 6 are free downloads.

Michael Evans

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I like Macro Media's Flash products
    even though I do not do anything
    terribly 'billable' with it. The interface
    is clean, powerfull and once you get your
    head in it reasonably intuitive.

I also like a product called Global Mapper, this
    handy application will seamlesslt open multiple
    SDTS.tar compressed files without first extracting
    the data from them. It wil then export any area
    from within the files as DEM files or DXF, or even
    contour lines which drop neatly into Land Desktop
    for terrain modeling.

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I use Sony Vegas for Video and Sound editing, and Discreet Combustion for compositing and visual effects, oooh and I never go a day without using my beloved photoshop

I guess those are non cad related

my other favorites that michael.12445 mentioned are firefox and thunderbird, couldn't live without them.
    Chris
    SOM | New York

Login to Give a bone

my other favorites that michael.12445 mentioned are firefox and thunderbird, couldn't live without them.
    I love these programs. Though I use them for home use. I use Outlook at work.

A few more.
    Open Office
    Great free office suite. Able to open and save to MS Office file types. Can create PDF files.

GIMP
    Similar to Photoshop, but free. Very powerful image editing and creating program.

Blender 3D
    Free 3D animation program. Much like Alias wavefront Maya.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

My FREE must haves:

Karen's Replicator
    Back up your programs/files to disk, server, directory... anywhere you want them! Schedule them for any time of day. I have mine copy any changed files in a certain directory on my computer to the network every 10 minutes. As a result my personal files are contained on my local machine but backed-up regularly to the server so I won't lose any work. Plus, in this office, I found our server is restarted or goes down more often than my personal computer. So Karen's Replicator has allowed me to continue working with my computer while they do maintenance to the server. Then, when the server is back up, the Replicator happily backs my files up to the server again. Best of all, it does it all in the background and uses little system resources.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

2xExplorer:
    Looks and feels like Windows Explorer except it has an extra directory pane. Click and drag files; compare directories; search multiple directories; all in one program (no more multiple Windows Explorer programs running simultaneously)
    http://www.simtel.net/product.downlo...s.php?id=34054

I could stop if I wanted to Kroke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I like to use Bink to put together & compress my animations.
    I use Steam and play a little CS when I'm getting frustrated on a plan, eases my workflow. :P
    Starskin desktop
    Mozilla web and email client
    Jaws PDF writer
    Ad-Aware 6 (anyone use a better ad remover tool?)
    Deep Exporation for viewing 3D models
    StruCalc to engineer beams/floors, etc
    Trillian for IM chat
    ACDSee for image reduction/compression
    Oh and I have this handy-dandy .dwg/.dxf installer that lets you see thumbnails of your files while browsing through Explorer. It's real nice to not have to load up a file to see what it is when you can look at the thumbnail. It's Cad Previewer. I think Andrew le Bihan from McNeel & Associates made it. He posted it to the Accurender NG a couple of years ago, but it sure is handy!

Login to Give a bone

Photoshop CS - used in conjuction with CAD, Powerpoint, etc
    Acrobat 6 Pro - it beats the clones hands down
    Timber Solutions - designing structural timber components, bracing & tiedowns
    SpanMan - designing structural steel & timber components
    FirstRate - house energy rating assessment
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast