Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHED ROOF WITH TWO SLOPES

Login to Give a bone

Default SHED ROOF WITH TWO SLOPES

I am trying to create a roof that is essentially a shed roof, but it has two slopes - one in each direction. I cannot seem to find a good way to create it. The "defines slope" hasn't been working with a "roof by footprint" type, and I can't get the slope arrow to work either. Please let me know if you know how I might model this double sloped shed roof.

RRR

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SHED ROOF WITH TWO SLOPES

Try to model the roof using "Roof by extrusion".

Login to Give a bone

I can do that but I need the roof to slope 3.5/12 in one direction (which I can do with the extrusion sketch), but then I need it to slope 1/12 in the perpendicular direction. I can't figure out how to get that second pitch.

Login to Give a bone

But doesn't that still give you a flat roof sloping in one direction, a direction that is not perpendicular to either wall? Are you after a hip roof condition, or something different?

If it's a hip roof you're after, with different slopes on connected perpendicular sides, then you may need to align the eaves. If you don't, it will tell you that it can't make the roof.

Some earlier versions of Revit would actually tell you that you need to align the roofs in the error message. For some reason now the error message is much less descriptive.

Login to Give a bone

No, not a hip roof. What I am trying to create is a shed roof that slopes 3.5/12 the short way, and then the entire roof also slopes about 0.67/12 in the other direction (the long way). I cannot figure out the best way to define a roof plane with slopes in multiple directions. So far, the only thing I have found is to use the slope arrow at a diagonal to one of my footprint sketch lines.

Please let me know if you have any more suggestions.

RRR

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Can you post a picture of what exactly you are trying to accomplish?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Make a floor and use the Edit Shape controls to tweak the corners up? (not practical for a non-rectangular shape, but that can be achieved by cutting the floor with Shaft openings or In-Place families)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by raredmon View Post
    No, not a hip roof. What I am trying to create is a shed roof that slopes 3.5/12 the short way, and then the entire roof also slopes about 0.67/12 in the other direction (the long way). I cannot figure out the best way to define a roof plane with slopes in multiple directions. So far, the only thing I have found is to use the slope arrow at a diagonal to one of my footprint sketch lines.

Please let me know if you have any more suggestions.

RRR
    So the roof has a slope perpendicular to the low and high side eaves, but then the eave itself also slopes, is that right?

I did that awhile back, when I needed a single-sloped roof to slope up along its length to be parallel with the sidewalk slope below. I think I went to an elevation view showing the edge of the sidewalk, sloping up. Then I made a reference plane perpendicular to the roof slope, and gave it a name. I also created a section view through the sidewalk and roof, also perpendicular to the sidewalk, and parallel to the reference plane. From that section view, I was able to create a roof by extrusion that sloped up from side-to-side, and also followed the sidewalk slope. You may have to create some openings at each end to get the sloping rake ends of the roof to be vertical.

Login to Give a bone

Here are a couple images of my roof structure. You can see how it tapers down to the right as well as down toward the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Looks like it can be easily accomplished by creating a mass with that shape and then creating your roof by picking the mass faces.

Andre Carvalho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast