Thread: Design software for subcontractors.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Design software for subcontractors.

I work for a commercial construction management company that is using Navisworks on a couple of projects.

The question I have is, can someone recommend design software products for our plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and fire protection subcontractors. The biggest thing they need is design, but any other features (ie estimating, etc.) would be a bonus. Obviously the software needs to be compatible with NavisWorks. Both cad based and non-cad based softwares are desired

Thanks

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Design software for subcontractors.

For MEP subs most are using AutoCAD MEP, although most are only using it in 3D for mechanical, I have heard many rumblings that plumbing and electrical are not that great in ACADMEP. The future will be Revit MEP but right now the content is lacking (you have to create most on your own) and the documentation side isn't so great.

For Fire Protection all the subs I've seen use AutoSprink and are very happy with it.

For the sheet metal subs doing ductwork I have seen CADDuct and Intellicad MEP

The beauty of NavisWorks is that virtually anything is compatible, so we really don't care what the subs use as long as it's in 3D

Hope this helps.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

For Piping there is some use of Quickpen (although it seems to be going away) MAP Cad Duct and Cad Mech is popular with both piping and duct although (apparently very) quirky.

Electrical seems to be using AutoDesk BS or MEP.

Autosprink is prevelant here in SoCal.

A few (primarily pipe and duct) trades are experimenting with MEP and Revit but I hear nothing promising yet......

I am modeling using extrusions (solids) with 2007 BS but would love to have something working (like BS or MEP) that has intelligence and is parametric (we manufacture and install 4" and 6" o.d. Pneumatic Tube Systems).

I have seen very few issues with Navis rendering the supplied trade models although there are a few enablers that you have to install.

Perk

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

hey steve I seem to have heard of you in piping field one of the best they keep saying give me a msg back id like to learn a thing or two
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.perkio View Post
    For Piping there is some use of Quickpen (although it seems to be going away) MAP Cad Duct and Cad Mech is popular with both piping and duct although (apparently very) quirky.

Electrical seems to be using AutoDesk BS or MEP.

Autosprink is prevelant here in SoCal.

A few (primarily pipe and duct) trades are experimenting with MEP and Revit but I hear nothing promising yet......

I am modeling using extrusions (solids) with 2007 BS but would love to have something working (like BS or MEP) that has intelligence and is parametric (we manufacture and install 4" and 6" o.d. Pneumatic Tube Systems).

I have seen very few issues with Navis rendering the supplied trade models although there are a few enablers that you have to install.

Perk

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks,

I'm just a working stiff trying to keep up with the flow of jobs and progress of technology....

Later,
    Perk

Login to Give a bone

This guy is ILL Informed. Hey Perk How much did you pay this guy to post this.
    Quote Originally Posted by drew121075 View Post
    hey steve I seem to have heard of you in piping field one of the best they keep saying give me a msg back id like to learn a thing or two

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Ricky!

$10.00, he works cheap like me.

Quit trying to boost your image (under you're avitar), you're not in Newport Beach with the Yachtsmen and Movie Stars, you're in Tustin with the rest of the low rent people like me.......

Quote Originally Posted by rick.rios View Post
    This guy is ILL Informed. Hey Perk How much did you pay this guy to post this.