See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated to DWGs linked into Revit

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Updated to DWGs linked into Revit

When we update a DWG in AutoCAD that is linked into Revit, the changes are not shown in Revit the next time the file is opened, as AutoCAD would with an attached xref.

We have to go to manage links and manually reload each one using the reload from button (the reload button doesnt seem to do anything).

We are using the latest SP2 and SP3 builds of 2008.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Updated to DWGs linked into Revit

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dobson View Post
    We have to go to manage links and manually reload each one using the reload from button (the reload button doesnt seem to do anything).
    As far as I know, reloading from the manage links dialog is the only way to update a linked cad file. I am not sure what you are referring to by "the reload button doesn't seem to do anything". If you are referring to the button on the manage link dialog, you have to highlight the drawing you want updated.

Login to Give a bone

I am having the same problem. I have a lighting plan that doesn't reload the latest dwg from "Manage Links." I highlight the file, hit reload, and then OK. The changes are not showing up in the Revit model.

Login to Give a bone

I just tested again in my file, and my updates are reloading. I don't actually see the change until I close the dialog box. You can see your old file, can't you?

I have noticed that for some reason or another, the "reload" button doesn't work, but the "reload from" will work, which is, I believe, what Andrew was describing. If worse comes to worse, you may have to remove the link and re-link. Hopefully one of the AUGI sages will have a better answer.

Login to Give a bone

"Reload from" doesn't work for me. It only gives me the option to load a .dwf, which is weird because I linked a .dwg.
    We have tested smaller files, and they work, but with this large of a file from a consultant, we have to close the file and open it again to get it to reload. Pain in the rear.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I had this problem once.

The AutoCAD guys were working separating the building in 3, so they had 3 sets of sheets. However, to link in Revit, I created a new folder and created my own DWG's, where I xref'd each one of the 3 parts of the building from their files, creating a "composite" plan for each level, showing the whole building. I linked then my files (and not theirs) into Revit.

The problem was that, when they modified their files, the modifications weren't automatically updated on my DWG's files, because my DWG's were always closed (once I created them and linked, I had nothing to do opening them...).

Revit is supposed to reload (when you open your RVT file) the linked files that have changed. But I notice that for some reason, Revit wasn't reloading my files, because they weren't changing. If I opened my composite DWG files, then AutoCAD would reloaded all modifications from the original files (Xref's). Saving the my DWG CAD file, would make then Revit reload it next time I opened it, because then it can see that my file had changed...

Or, each time I would like to see my linked files updated in Revit, I had to select them and manually reload.

However, when the DWG is directly linked into Revit, it always worked like a charm, and updated automatically each time I opened my revit file.

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

My problem isn't with my .dwg, though. It's an in-house engineer's file, so it is on my network. We are just doing a pilot project in Revit at this time and the engineers will still be using ADT, so I was trying to modify the file and see if it updated. I know there were changes that needed to be reloaded because I was the one who made them.

Login to Give a bone

e-

It does seem very strange that you only have an option for dwf's. Are you looking at the cad format tab or the dwf markup tab.

Andre- You were right, I just tested my referenced cad drawing, closed the model and then opened it again. doh!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am now happy with the fact that I have to manually reload AutoCAD references that have changed, it gives me a little more control, and used in conjunction with our document management system allows me to easily work on previous versions of AutoCAD drawings from within Revit.

I'm surprised and lucky to have been using Revit for nearly two years without having to rely on linking in AutoCAD drawings that may change!

Incidentally, I am now having a problem with exporting AutoCAD files.

I have a site view with areas of paving with falls created using floors with spot levels applied. The view will not export to AutoCAD - All I get is level elevation marker tags - no floors, no contours or anything from this view.

I have tried to send my 30Mb Revit file to support by am having a nightmare as the password they have sent me for their FTP site doesn’t work.

Any ideas as to what the export problem may be?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dobson View Post
    Incidentally, I am now having a problem with exporting AutoCAD files.

I have a site view with areas of paving with falls created using floors with spot levels applied. The view will not export to AutoCAD - All I get is level elevation marker tags - no floors, no contours or anything from this view.

I have tried to send my 30Mb Revit file to support by am having a nightmare as the password they have sent me for their FTP site doesn’t work.

Any ideas as to what the export problem may be?
    Andrew,

That's weird...

Have you tried exporting to AutoCAD using different versions? What if you try to export as ACAD 2004, 2000 or even DXF, just to see if you have different results...

Andre Carvalho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast