View Poll Results: Would you like to see AutoCAD on any of the following platforms (check all that apply):

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • OS X

22 32.84%
  • Linux (Please post and specify Distribution)

47 70.15%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

5 7.46%
  • Windows (As Is Now)

18 26.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD on Linux/OS X/Etc.?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD on Linux/OS X/Etc.?

I would like to use it on Ubuntu as well... I guess that means it's an impossibility Correct?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

For those who can't wait for AutoDesk to wake-up & smell the coffee, you could install any OS you want. Then visit this (http://www.virtualbox.org/), download & install (it's free open-source). Create a virtual machine & install Windows on it, then install AutoCAD to this.

I'm running AC2008 in an XP virtual box on Fedora 7. Copy-n-Paste between AC-on-XP and OpenOffice-on-Fedora works perfectly - OLE doesn't though - therefore I've installed a copy of OOo in XP as well. I've got a few folders shared between the OS's - you see them as network shares although they're on the same machine.

This works much easier than a dual-boot setup, since you can have both OS's running concurrently & swap between the 2 with a simple keystroke (which you can assign). At my Office PC I've got it the other way round: WinXP with a Fedora virtual box - works exactly the same.

And sorry for my mistype in my last post, the latest AC running in Wine is version 2002 (not 2005) although not without bugs - see this: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=86

And then you get guys who've decided to abandon any form of AC update because they can't get the new ones running on Linux (http://architectafrica.com/bin0/news200411111_wine.html). I just think going back to r14 is a bit much!
    Last edited by irneb; 2008-04-03 at 03:47 AM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    For those who can't wait for AutoDesk to wake-up & smell the coffee, you could install any OS you want. Then visit this (http://www.virtualbox.org/), download & install (it's free open-source). Create a virtual machine & install Windows on it, then install AutoCAD to this.

I'm running AC2008 in an XP virtual box on Fedora 7. Copy-n-Paste between AC-on-XP and OpenOffice-on-Fedora works perfectly - OLE doesn't though - therefore I've installed a copy of OOo in XP as well. I've got a few folders shared between the OS's - you see them as network shares although they're on the same machine.

This works much easier than a dual-boot setup, since you can have both OS's running concurrently & swap between the 2 with a simple keystroke (which you can assign). At my Office PC I've got it the other way round: WinXP with a Fedora virtual box - works exactly the same.

And sorry for my mistype in my last post, the latest AC running in Wine is version 2002 (not 2005) although not without bugs - see this: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=86

And then you get guys who've decided to abandon any form of AC update because they can't get the new ones running on Linux (http://architectafrica.com/bin0/news200411111_wine.html). I just think going back to r14 is a bit much!
    the only problem is, it doesn't support 64 bit XP as a guest, its the only license I have available, I have to wait until an update comes out. And You are still using Windows to run it.

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    For those who can't wait for AutoDesk to wake-up & smell the coffee, you could install any OS you want. Then visit this (http://www.virtualbox.org/), download & install (it's free open-source). Create a virtual machine & install Windows on it, then install AutoCAD to this...
    To add to what Chris said, Virtualbox doesn't work very well with graphics. As of yet, there aren't any reliable virtualization environments which provide native graphics acceleration from the GPU. Sure, you do have acceleration, but it is processed by the CPU. I would love to do this, but as our company slides more and more into the hardcore 3D and presentation work, virualization is not an option yet...getting there, but not yet.

Login to Give a bone

Please for Ubuntu.

But you can use BricsCad or something like that

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by S_Newton View Post
    Good luck with Flash
    Uh, I have an AMD 64-bit box at home with SuSE 10.0, and Flash works on it (in Firefox). I forgot the exact mechanism, but I believe it's a library that lets 32-bit Flash work on a 64-bit system.

Login to Give a bone

I'd like to see it move to Ubuntu Linux. I am preparing to explore the possibly of using a version of IntelliCAD that runs on Linux (ProgeCAD or BricsCAD) or running some virtualization software (like WINE or VMWare) to continue using ACAD. In the meantime, I'm stuck with using Windows.

I'd like to second (or third) the notion that AutoCAD is the only thing holding me to Windows. If it weren't for that, I'd have been running Linux a while ago.

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi All -

If you're experienced (or just really interested) in virtualized solutions for Autodesk's suite of design tool

AU Unplugged - The AU Unconference:
    Topic: "Autodesk and Virtualization: A Discussion of Best Practices and First Hand User Experiences"
    Hosted by: Phil Read, Vice President | Director of Technology
    HNTB Architecture
    When:2pm-2.50pm, Thursday December, 4th
    Where: Casanova 604

Details:
    Recent advances in virtualization has legitimized our ability to run
    Autodesk’s suite of design applications in virtual environments. And in
    addition to Parallels and VM Ware, Sun has recently introduced their VirtualBox solution!

AU2007 introduced “Running Revit in Virtualization.” But it’s not just about Revit anymore. If you look at the AUGI forums it becomes obvious that many of Autodesk's solutions are being run in virtualization. So I’m suggesting that we put our heads together and figure it out for the benefit of each other and Autodesk:

* What industries are running Autodesk’s solutions in virtualization? AEC? Automotive? Manufacturing?
    * Revit? Inventor? Max? AutoCAD?
    * What are the Host OS's? Apple / Linux / Windows?
    * VM Solutions? VMWare / Parallels / Sun
    * Overall Pros and Cons?
    * Settings / Hardware / Connectivity / Configurations
    * Finally: Best Practices and real-world production experience from real end users.

Hope to see you all there!

Phil

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Just a quick note that the progeCAD wiki has been updated to include IntelliCAD virtualization info as well. Feel free to comment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progecad

The statement is 'not officially supported, but reported by some to be successful'. I wonder how well the CITRIX virtualization runs over WAN connections or VPN, though...

Login to Give a bone

YES! ACAD on Linux! Please!
    I would not mind it on Ubuntu or one of the Redhat/Fedora releases. I've used/am using both. Also might want to have a look at CentOS, also a Redhat clone and VERY stable.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast