View Poll Results: Would you like to see AutoCAD on any of the following platforms (check all that apply):

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • OS X

22 32.84%
  • Linux (Please post and specify Distribution)

47 70.15%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

5 7.46%
  • Windows (As Is Now)

18 26.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD on Linux/OS X/Etc.?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD on Linux/OS X/Etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    It seems to calculate the % by dividing the votes for an OS by the number of voters. Shouldn't it rather divide by the total number of votes?
    To me it makes more sense dividing by the number of voters. This pole is showing how interested each voter is in a particular option, not which option is the most popular.

Login to Give a bone

I vote Ubuntu.
    Why don't we throw Revit in there as well?! x^p

I'm currently working on virtualizing Winbloze in Xubuntu to run Revit 2010 at the office.
    Fun-fun!!

^_^

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Second that (yet a bl**dy again). Just started my WinXP from external HDD on my Laptop (which has Ubuntu Studio running in internal). And found the usual problem: After waiting an exorbitant time for the login screen to appear, and finaly the desktop showing, a pop-up displays over the notificaion icons.

What's it say? "This device could perform faster if connected to a USB2 port" No s&^t sherlock! It is on a USB2 port, it's your bloody drivers which gets confused about (oh I don't know lets screw this user again!!!!) Just checked, the External HDD which has Windoze installed has an average throughput of 1MB/sec. If I link to the same HDD from Ubuntu its throughput is around 30MB/sec.

And then after a hot-reboot (don't let the PC cool down otherwise this same thing happens), Win(bl**dy)doze suddenly remembers "Oh yes those are actually USB2 ports!" Why oh why oh why do I always need to boot twice into Losing Doze every time I want to start working? Makes you think what other CR@P M$ is causing ... no wonder it seems to get slower over some months.

In the recent year I've used Ubuntu, I've had to re-install Win(Loose) 5 times. Probably have to do it again! Ubuntu's still running from the 1st install (with near weakly updates) and still as fast as it was when 1st installed. And yes I've added programs galore onto Linux. Try that with Lose Doze and you feel that you want to light a fire under it!

Sorry for ranting but it really gets on my nerves when the OS I'm forced to work with (simply because of AC & Revit) makes my life a hell!
    Last edited by irneb; 2009-12-15 at 07:52 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    [...] Just started my WinXP from external HDD on my Laptop (which has Ubuntu Studio running in internal). [...]
    OUCH! What happened to running XP on another partition on your internal?? O_o

Time to invest in HDD space if it's low, dude!

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Why, if you want to see AutoCAD on Linux or OS/X, all you have to do is put your wish on the AUGI Wish List, since as we all know, AUGI wishes really do come true...

Yeah, once you get your wish up there, you should be seeing a Linux / OSX AutoCAD in no time...I'd say sometime around when hell freezes over...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445 View Post
    Why, if you want to see AutoCAD on Linux or OS/X, all you have to do is put your wish on the AUGI Wish List, since as we all know, AUGI wishes really do come true...

Yeah, once you get your wish up there, you should be seeing a Linux / OSX AutoCAD in no time...I'd say sometime around when hell freezes over...
    What I'd really like to know is - who on earth wished for a ribbon interface?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    What I'd really like to know is - who on earth wished for a ribbon interface?
    Why, the marketing gurus of course! (sorry - watching Dilbert re-runs due to lack of decent TV lately)

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by qabulin View Post
    OUCH! What happened to running XP on another partition on your internal?? O_o

Time to invest in HDD space if it's low, dude!
    Yep, it's probably time to invest (is that the right word?) in a new laptop ... this one's 3 years old and can't even run 64bit OS's.

I was originally running Windows under a VM from a file on the internal HDD. Unfortunately I've only got 1GB RAM in this thing (and can't seem to find any compatible upgrade). That's why I went with the dual-boot.

It was just a lot simpler installing Win on the external, since there's no Defrag for EX2 file systems - so a repartitioning of the 100GB internal drive would mean re-installing Ubuntu as well. Uggh!
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445 View Post

Alrighty then, I did make a wish (waiting for those MIB's to come shut me up). No ... be positive ... maybe hell will freeze over

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

OK, I made the wish (or rather submitted), and that was on the 16th of last month. Still no confirmation that the wish has been accepted, it's not on the current wish list either. So maybe the MIB's forestalled it , or they've infiltrated Augi , or less paranoidly the moderators simply think: "Aaagggh this again! There's no chance, don't even bother!"

Login to Give a bone

Other OS support wishes have been received on the AUGI AutoCAD Wish List in the past. A wish to run AutoCAD on Linux was actually on the ballot for February 2006. It ranked 29th.

Irneb, I cannot find any wishes submitted by you in the AutoCAD Wish List in the last month.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast