Thread: Max training

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Max training

I was just looking at the augi registration email for the Boston designvis conference and wishing something like this would come to the west coast. I'm on my second trial download of Max and desperately wishing I could accelerate my learning but have yet to see any appealing training offered or books for that matter. Every time someone reccomends a 3ds max book I go online to amazon and the book gets trashed by reviews. Despertaely seeking good valued max training if anyone has any input.
    Thank You,
    Phil

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Max training

Phil,

There are a few options available to you depending on how far you are willing to travel and spend:

It sounds like what you would really like is a few days of sitting down with Max and an instructor. That can be done through Autodesk's ATC (Authorized Training Centers) that a variety of companies. You can look up ATCs through the Autodesk site, but you'll want to find ones with M&E certification. These generally cost between $1200 to $2000 and usually require a minimum class size.

The next best experience/training is Autodesk University. There's a large number of classes on Max, but you will find most to be intermediate level. There are several hands on labs available, but you'll need to sign up for those early. The cost is a bout the same ans an ATC class, but you'll get to network and meet others in your field.

Being self taught isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Books tend to be focused on certain industries (gaming or viz), but they will all have some good information and tid-bits in them. Tutorials are good for learning processes and can be found all over the internet. However, the content can be specific or not have much meaning to you personally, so parts of the lesson can be lost afterwards. I usually recommend assigning yourself a project that inspires you and start working through how to get to the end of it.

If you go with the self taught method, this forum can act as your instructor. You have at least a dozen or more experts in Max available to you. If you get stuck with a part of your model, or are not sure how to create something, just ask.

Again, I've probably rattled on too long, but hopefully some of this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Rattle on. I'll take all the info I can get. Thanks for your response. I like the self taught idea but so many questions arise along the way that would sure be nice to have quick answers to. I haven't had great experiences with ATCs. I've done several of the tutorials that come with the program but, as you said, most are very specialized and not architecture related. I'll keep plugging away but I still say that a venue like the upcoming Boston conference would be a godsend if it were more geographically friendly to me.
    Thanks Again Glen,
    Phil

Login to Give a bone

Phil,

We've had a team attend the VisMasters conference since it's first year. Although I haven't attended myself yet, I hear it gets better each year. It's definitely more focused on ArchViz, and that's what it sounds like you are interested in. There are a few ATC instructors that have ArchViz background (Keith Chamberlain for one, but I think he's in a different part of Autodesk now). I can check around the ATC vines and see who's out there. Let me know if you decide to attend VMDC and I'll be sure you get hooked up with our crew (about 6 or 7 going from PB).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vanderloo5 View Post
    I was just looking at the augi registration email for the Boston designvis conference and wishing something like this would come to the west coast. I'm on my second trial download of Max and desperately wishing I could accelerate my learning but have yet to see any appealing training offered or books for that matter. Every time someone reccomends a 3ds max book I go online to amazon and the book gets trashed by reviews. Despertaely seeking good valued max training if anyone has any input.
    Thank You,
    Phil
    A thought just occured to me - west coast of which land mass? If it is the west coast of the USA, then you might also consider the master classes at Siggraph (based in Los Angeles this year) in addition to checking with a local reseller. If you can't swing the classes but want to check out the exhibit floor, let me know - I might be able to swing you some help on admission...

http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/
    Last edited by Steve_Bennett; 2008-04-01 at 02:32 AM.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Phil,

I would strongly check out some of the CG-Academy dvds as well as some of the dvds over at the Gnomon Workshop. The Gnomon ones are a bit more specific while the CG Academy ones will bring you up to speed from beginner to advanced. If i were starting out...i would get the whole set.

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dellis View Post
    Phil,

I would strongly check out some of the CG-Academy dvds as well as some of the dvds over at the Gnomon Workshop. The Gnomon ones are a bit more specific while the CG Academy ones will bring you up to speed from beginner to advanced. If i were starting out...i would get the whole set.
    Yikes, with prices like that, I'm glad I can learn from a book. I need to get a good book and start digging in. The trial-and-error learning approach is not getting me far with 3ds like it did in SketchUp.