Thread: Multi-Planar Sweep

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multi-Planar Sweep

Is it possible to create a non-hosted pipe rail using a sweep that is "multi-planar"?
    See attached image.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multi-Planar Sweep

You wll have to create it as an In Place family using multiple sweeps for the multiple planes.

Andre Carvalho

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I definitely don't recommende the in-place solution. Instead use a host that you will put on a separate workset. Much easier to control, can be done using a regular handrail type and railing is not a category available through in-place.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    I definitely don't recommende the in-place solution. Instead use a host that you will put on a separate workset. Much easier to control, can be done using a regular handrail type and railing is not a category available through in-place.
    Yeah, that's what I usually do too, but since he/she asked for "non hosted" I showed the "other" solution that's creating it using multiple planes, then drawing lines and choosing the option "Pick" rather than 2D Path when creating the path for the sweep.

But I totally agree that creating it as a railling hosted in something that's in another workset (or using filters to hide it if you aren't using worksets) will be easier.

Andre Carvalho

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks.
    The issue with stair hosted is that the rail must be "above" the stair. What if the stair sits off the wall far enough that the wall attached rail is not above it? It then reverts to the floor or current view level for hosting. I was trying to create it also as a generic mass family with some length and angle control parameters.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by raddis View Post
    Thanks.
    The issue with stair hosted is that the rail must be "above" the stair. What if the stair sits off the wall far enough that the wall attached rail is not above it? It then reverts to the floor or current view level for hosting. I was trying to create it also as a generic mass family with some length and angle control parameters.
    I understand now what you are trying to do. So why don't you still create your railing, making sure that your sketch lines are over the stair (host) but add an offset to the rail, so it will be close to the wall, even if its sketch lines are over the stair. The rail doesn't necessarily has to be above the sketch lines...

Andre Carvalho

I could stop if I wanted to mruehr's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by raddis View Post
    Thanks.
    but you should still be able to use it leave the sketch line on the stair and offset the rail
    or don't use host and draw your stair with the manual controls once you worked out how it works its as easy as in-place without the obvious drawbacks

ok andre was faster
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mruehr; 2008-03-28 at 02:57 AM.