Thread: AutoCAD MEP - work in 2D only?

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD MEP - work in 2D only?

I have a weird question that I'd like to address for a client.

Is it possible to force AutoCAD MEP to work in 2-D drawing ONLY (ie. even if you switch into isometric 3D view you would still see one plane)? I have a client who likes the tools in AMEP like duct connectivity, transitions, etc. but doesn't want to deal with the 3D aspects at all. I've asked the client if it'd be a problem to just work in 2-D and ignore the 3D views but he insists to design in 2D only. Is there a setting somewhere in AMEP that turns the 3D off?

Thanks,

-John

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD MEP - work in 2D only?

Well you can't really use 3D tools and objects on a 2d drawing. I guess you could remove the obit tool and the other views, but I don't think that's what he wants. I'd suggest that he either install AMEP as Acad or go back to plain Acad. Just my 2 penny's.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jwongmep View Post
    Is it possible to force AutoCAD MEP to work in 2-D drawing ONLY (ie. even if you switch into isometric 3D view you would still see one plane)?
    I have never used AMEP, but you should be able to set up one or more Display Configurations that only show AMEP objects as they "normally" display for a top view. That would make them 2D, but I do not know if that would make everything "flat". It may be that the ducts would all still have elevation, so you would have multiple levels of flat.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not so sure if there is one. I know you can use the "Mechanical Duct - 1 line' option, but this one is like the schematic option. Or, you set your z values to zero and draw normally. When you look at your top view, it will look like 2d with those realistic duct sizes drawn.
    Another thing, before you draw your duct, use the option "use routing" only, not the option for "use rise/run" as the latter will give you an elevation.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by kairei; 2008-04-11 at 09:18 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah Display Representations is the way to go here. You will still technically be drawing in 3D, because you could always change your Display Representation.

If they are unaware how Display Representations work, or just dont mess with them, that should work just fine