Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one to go with - AutoCAD 2008 or 2009

Login to Give a bone

Default Which one to go with - AutoCAD 2008 or 2009

I'm changing companies and I have the option to tell my boss what computer I want and what version of AutoCad I want. THe problem is I have not mess with 08 or 09 at all. Any advisse will be appreciated.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Which one to go with - AutoCAD 2008 or 2009

Personally, I like to stay up to date with the latest releases. I've had to jump from '97 to ADT before, and it wasn't fun. So I'd go with 2009, but wouldn't go lower than 2008 for sure.

As for systems, I just got a new rig and it works like a charm! It has a few small bugs, but nothing serious. I blame it all on Vista!

Here's the specs

Dell Precision T3400
    Vista Business 64 bit
    Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
    4 Gig ram
    NVidia Quadro FX 570 256 meg video card

It's ISV certified and runs great so far. I also have the original Nvidia NVS 290 256 meg video card in it, so I can run up to 4 monitors.

I'd also get dual 24" wide screens if you can get your boss to agree. I'm running dual 20" wide screens now. They are a bit on the small side.

Hope that helps.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by M_MTY View Post
    I'm changing companies and I have the option to tell my boss what computer I want and what version of AutoCad I want. THe problem is I have not mess with 08 or 09 at all. Any advisse will be appreciated.

Thanks
    How many other Acad users does the company have? My preference as to which version would also be 2008 or 2009 but only on the condition that everybody in the company had the same version.

I must say it seems a rather odd decision to be given to a new employee though.

Login to Give a bone

I would be the only designer for this division of the company.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Personally, I like to stay up to date with the latest releases. I've had to jump from '97 to ADT before, and it wasn't fun. So I'd go with 2009, but wouldn't go lower than 2008 for sure.

As for systems, I just got a new rig and it works like a charm! It has a few small bugs, but nothing serious. I blame it all on Vista!

Here's the specs

Dell Precision T3400
    Vista Business 64 bit
    Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
    4 Gig ram
    NVidia Quadro FX 570 256 meg video card

It's ISV certified and runs great so far. I also have the original Nvidia NVS 290 256 meg video card in it, so I can run up to 4 monitors.

I'd also get dual 24" wide screens if you can get your boss to agree. I'm running dual 20" wide screens now. They are a bit on the small side.

Hope that helps.
    How much does a system like that run? I would recommend an AMD Athlon X2 6400+ for the processor. I like my Geforce 8600 GT with 256 mb ram on board. I am running XP64 with 4Gig ram. I priced mine out to have it built with a warranty and it was around 1200. I had mine built by a guy that knows computers for under 1k, it was specifically built for gaming, but AutoCAD runs great on it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Exactly!

OP: Wahtever you do, get XP not Vista... do yourself THAT favor, at least.

I think - and this is coming from a CAD administrator - that you'd probably be better off at this moment with 2008, and I'll tell you why. It seems to be the trend for there to be problems with the products when they first ship. God only knows what they would be, but typically I avoid upgrading until at least SP1 is out.

If you are OK with taking that risk, and you can adapt to change pretty well, then I'd go for 2009. It really is neat but there are SO many changes... I'm looking forward to getting it deployed (I've had the beta for a while now), but I'm NOT necessarily looking forward to fighting with my users about the interface... it is *shockingly* different that what we're used to seeing.

Now, you could get 2009 and set it up like 2008, but if you're going to do that why not just get 2008 and be done with it? It's stable and IMO the best release in years.

Time will tell for 2009.

At any rate, congrats on the new job! Good luck!
    Last edited by Jim Thompson; 2008-04-03 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    How much does a system like that run? I would recommend an AMD Athlon X2 6400+ for the processor. I like my Geforce 8600 GT with 256 mb ram on board. I am running XP64 with 4Gig ram. I priced mine out to have it built with a warranty and it was around 1200. I had mine built by a guy that knows computers for under 1k, it was specifically built for gaming, but AutoCAD runs great on it.
    I'm not sure of the price. I know I ordered 2 plus a new lap top, and ONE person in the company (the owner's granddaughter ) blew a gasket!!! She wanted me to send all of them back because "drafing doesn't need a new system, the 4 year old ones are fine" But, she needs a new system to run a spread sheet. Oh sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant!

Anywyay, We have an account at Dell, so we save about 40% on purchases.
    I know the lap top was about 2500 and we got hit for about 1850.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

She wanted me to send all of them back because "drafing doesn't need a new system, the 4 year old ones are fine"

Jeez. I hate that; when people who have NO idea what is needed to run AutoCAD *properly* try to tell you that you don't need a new system. SO irritating.

Right? Like Excel is sooooooo taxing.

Just explain to her that you would rather not waste company money waiting around for your machine to do what it needs to do; your time is expensive. Say you'd rather spend the money up front and save in the long run. Usually talking $$$ gets you further than just saying "I want this or that."

Still... annoying.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Jeez. I hate that; when people who have NO idea what is needed to run AutoCAD *properly* try to tell you that you don't need a new system. SO irritating.

Right? Like Excel is sooooooo taxing.

Just explain to her that you would rather not waste company money waiting around for your machine to do what it needs to do; your time is expensive. Say you'd rather spend the money up front and save in the long run. Usually talking $$$ gets you further than just saying "I want this or that."

Still... annoying.
    Yeah, not to change the thread, but she's a real biatch. What she says goes, just because grandpa owns the company. They all just agree with her so she'll shut up! No lie. Why she's in charge of the computers is beyond me.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, not to change the thread, but she's a real biatch. What she says goes, just because grandpa owns the company. They all just agree with her so she'll shut up! No lie. Why she's in charge of the computers is beyond me.
    that is the problem I had with the IT at my old office, the latest set of computers she ordered were dual cores, but what she didnt understand was AutoCAD doesnt use the second core, it only sees that I am trying to run Autocad on a 1.8 instead of the 3.6 I had before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast