Thread: Palette Group Settings

Login to Give a bone

Default Palette Group Settings

I am trying to "force" palette groups to users computers without having them import a new profile with the palette group settings. If the palette group is controlled in the profile then logic would lead us to believe that there is a setting in the registry that controls what palettes are displayed in each palette group.
    Does anyone know where in the Registry this information is contained. I have searched for it but came up dry so far....

Thanks!!!

Brant

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Palette Group Settings

From what I have been able to determine, palette information isn't stored in the registry, aside from the palette search paths. Most of the palette control is through the atc files, both the catalog and specific palettes. Predefined groups don't work well with mixed-access folders; the group information gets cloned to the first folder with write-access and won't update to reflect the changes from the read-only master. Right now I'm aiming for user-administered palette groups with a mix of read-only and user-created palettes.

Login to Give a bone

Heres my secret..

Create the palletes that you want at your station. Create the groups that you want also and place each palette into thier respective group.

one your pallettes are set up the way everyone elses should be, you can copy the profile.aws from the following location to the same location on any users machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Autodesk\"VERSION"\enu\Support\Profiles\Architectural Desktop - Imperial

I wrote a vba routine that runs in excel.. it renames the file on the users machine ( for a backup if needed) then copies the network version to the same location. literally i do this with two clicks.. three if ya count closing excel

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sgroff View Post
    Heres my secret..

Create the palletes that you want at your station. Create the groups that you want also and place each palette into thier respective group.

one your pallettes are set up the way everyone elses should be, you can copy the profile.aws from the following location to the same location on any users machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Autodesk\"VERSION"\enu\Support\Profiles\Architectural Desktop - Imperial

I wrote a vba routine that runs in excel.. it renames the file on the users machine ( for a backup if needed) then copies the network version to the same location. literally i do this with two clicks.. three if ya count closing excel
    or better yet. copy it onto the server. and create a profile for your users that points the palettes to the server. that way when you need to update them, you update the palette on the server, and everyone automatically gets the updates.

you'll have to put the palettes in a write protected folder of course so that nobody but you can update them.