Thread: Are vertical elements slowing this DWG?

Login to Give a bone

Question Are vertical elements slowing this DWG?

Are vertical elements slowing this DWG from loading as an xref?

I am not sure the source of the log jam. It has slowly spread from one DWG to another within this one project folder when one DWG is XREFed via attach or overlay.

I believe that there is some vertical information (normally not viewable in plain AutoCAD 200 - similar to wall/table/theme styles from AutoCAD Architecture.

Attached is little example in hopes someone can figure this out.
    • base-1 is a simple background DWG with a single one inch line
    • host-1 is a simple carrier DWG into which the base-1 DWG is referenced.
    • base-2 is a carbon copy of base-1 with the exception being the line is copied out of one of my problem DWGs
    • host-2 is a carbon copy of host-2 with the exception being it references base-2 instead of base-1

Base-1 and host-1 open quick as a wink, without issue as they should. Base-2 will open equally quickly. Host-2 will hang while loading Base-2 for an unknown reason.

One sign that the file contains hidden information is its size. The 37k file jumps to 188k for no apparent reason. Still at only 188k, the file should not take that long to load as an xref.

I am only able to extract the information out of base-2 by qselecting everything, making a block out of it and importing into a fresh DWG via DesignCenter's block insertion. There are hundreds of DWGs in this project.

What is causing the delay and what is the best method of removing it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Are vertical elements slowing this DWG?

Quote Originally Posted by OIIIIIIIO View Post
    Are vertical elements slowing this DWG from loading as an xref?

I am not sure the source of the log jam. It has slowly spread from one DWG to another within this one project folder when one DWG is XREFed via attach or overlay.

I believe that there is some vertical information (normally not viewable in plain AutoCAD 200 - similar to wall/table/theme styles from AutoCAD Architecture.

Attached is little example in hopes someone can figure this out.
    • base-1 is a simple background DWG with a single one inch line
    • host-1 is a simple carrier DWG into which the base-1 DWG is referenced.
    • base-2 is a carbon copy of base-1 with the exception being the line is copied out of one of my problem DWGs
    • host-2 is a carbon copy of host-2 with the exception being it references base-2 instead of base-1

Base-1 and host-1 open quick as a wink, without issue as they should. Base-2 will open equally quickly. Host-2 will hang while loading Base-2 for an unknown reason.

One sign that the file contains hidden information is its size. The 37k file jumps to 188k for no apparent reason. Still at only 188k, the file should not take that long to load as an xref.

I am only able to extract the information out of base-2 by qselecting everything, making a block out of it and importing into a fresh DWG via DesignCenter's block insertion. There are hundreds of DWGs in this project.

What is causing the delay and what is the best method of removing it?
    Have you tried the usual suspects: PURGE and AUDIT, including the -PURGE, RegApps option?

Login to Give a bone

I tried...

purging, auditing, overkill, deleting all emty mtext/text objects, deleting groups containing zero entities, all layer filters, all unreferenced registered apps., all page setups, and extra layout spaces. I have tried to strip the DWGs down as much as possible.

Thanks though. Any other thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

Corrupt drawing template maybe? Is there a way to copy the bad Xref file to a clean template?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Corrupt drawing template maybe? Is there a way to copy the bad Xref file to a clean template?
    So far the only way I have been able to cleanly extract the good info out of the problem DWGs is by selecting everything via forward selection window (left to right and not right to left) making it into a block which I then drag into a new DWG via DesignCenter. If I copy the block out to the clipboard and into a new DWG it brings in the info causing the delay.