Thread: Mass Element Reflected Display

Login to Give a bone

Question Mass Element Reflected Display

I'm having trouble w/ a custom mass element that I'm using for an ornamental column in ADT '06. The display settings work fine in the plan/med-detail config - in display properties, I've turned the disp component "above cut plane" to off & am using a solid hatch at the cut plane. Works like a charm.

However, when I switch to reflected, where I only want to see the upper portion (capital) of the column, the entire column is still visible. The "above/below cut plane" disp config options are no longer available - just "entity."

The cut plane is set in the middle of the column, and the above/below display range in the Display Manager seem to have no affect on the mass element when I change them.

Is there some way to add display config options like "above/below cut plane" in the display properties? Or am I going about this the wrong way completely? The mass element columns have worked very well for everything else so far - are they just not intended for use w/ reflected clng plans? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mass Element Reflected Display

Quote Originally Posted by billy.165695 View Post
    However, when I switch to reflected, where I only want to see the upper portion (capital) of the column, the entire column is still visible.
    That's pretty much the way ADT works. If you think about applying reflected display sets to walls, you still get the cut plane through the wall. I think, to achieve the "look" you are after, you will need to override the cut plane elevation for the elements in the reflected display.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mass Element Reflected Display

Quote Originally Posted by billy.165695 View Post
    Is there some way to add display config options like "above/below cut plane" in the display properties? Or am I going about this the wrong way completely? The mass element columns have worked very well for everything else so far - are they just not intended for use w/ reflected clng plans? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I have not tried this myself, but you could do the following:

1. Find the name of the Display Representation for Mass Elements that is active in the Medium Detail Display Configuration that has the object components that you want available for your reflected ceiling plans. If you are using the out-of-the-box settings, this would be Plan High Detail, but your setup may vary. Make a copy of that Display Representation for Mass Elements and rename the copy, perhaps to Reflected High Detail. Edit the display settings and change them to display the components you want in the manner you want.

2. Now create a new Display Representation Set that is a copy of the one that is active for the Display Configuration you are using for your reflected ceiling plan (Reflected Display Configuration and Reflected Display Representation Set?). Rename the copy (Reflected High Detail?), then edit the new Display Representation Set. The only change you would make would be to turn off the Display Representation for Mass Elements that is set active (Reflected?) and replace it with the new one you just created (Reflected High Detail).

3. Finally, make a copy of the Display Configuration you are using for your reflected ceiling plans (Reflected?). Rename the Display Configuration (Reflected High Detail, perhaps, or whatever suits your fancy) and change the Display Representation Set for the Top view direction to the new one you just created (Reflected High Detail, if you used that name).

Set the new reflected ceiling Display Configuration currrent, and your Mass Element Column will display according to the settings you made in the newly created Display Representation. Of course, so will all of the other Mass Elements (if any), so you may need to make the Drawing Default settings for the new Display Representation work for the majority condition and use style-level overrides to handle any other conditions.

I can not say whether having those extra components will allow you to do what you want , but at least now you know how to set things up so you can find out.