Thread: Feature Labels Drawing Order

Login to Give a bone

Default Feature Labels Drawing Order

I have linked to a bunch of SHP files using the FDO data connection, for some of the SHP layers I have added Feature labels, so far so good. I have now added in a drawing layer from a DWG, which I want to be at the top of the drawing order - I don't want any other layers/features obscuring it - and have dragged it to the top in the task pane.

My problem is the feature labels are not following the draw order and are being placed above the drawing layer. is this expected behaviour and is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Feature Labels Drawing Order

I think the issue of drawing order in the task pane isn't restricted to labels - I added a set of MrSid imagery using the FDO connect to raster command and placed the images at the bottom of the Task pane and they were also going above objects that should be on top of them.

I ended up inserting the Sids through the Xref manager to solve the problem, which also corrected a problem with the resolution of the images when printed if they were connected using FDO.

Can't say I impressed at all with Map when trying to put together what is a basic map if I used a real GIS program.
    Last edited by bcowper; 2008-04-14 at 02:48 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Draw order is still an issue with 2009 and FDO objects.

Login to Give a bone

Super :

I used to think my company's policy of not upgrading to latest and 'greatest' version of AutoCAD XXX (< add you flavour here) was a bad thing, but when stuff like this is not fixed, I don't blame them waiting till their forced to upgrade by AutoDesk deadlines.

Is there anything in Map 2009 worthy of upgrading apart from the new interface?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bcowper View Post
    Super :
    Is there anything in Map 2009 worthy of upgrading apart from the new interface?
    There are a few new features that may make it worth the upgrade, depending on what you use map for. The Merge and Split functions, the ability to create a text layer, automatically feature check out, and the biggest improvement is the expression builder. Then of course a few "bugs" that showed up in 2008 have been fixed, like when using mapimport the prefix of "default_" on the layers and OD table names is now no more, the objects you import are now back to having the color property by-layer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bcowper View Post
    My problem is the feature labels are not following the draw order and are being placed above the drawing layer. is this expected behaviour and is there a way to prevent this from happening?
    That is by design, the idea is if you label something then it should be at the top of the draw order and not hidden under a polygon fill or obscured by any other feature.

Login to Give a bone

I can see the logic behind it, but there should be a way for the user to override giving labels priority in draw order when needed.

Login to Give a bone

There is a little in 2009, you can make some labels static and allow them to be obscured by other layers. I haven't tried it enough to see how well it works. You can always import the shp create anntonation blocks for the labels, then turn off the layer the shp geometry in on and just leave the anno blocks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    You can always import the shp create anntonation blocks for the labels, then turn off the layer the shp geometry in on and just leave the anno blocks.
    That's a good solution if your GIS data is not being updated frequently, but the beauty of using FDO linking is if the SHP file or DBMS data is changed then the edits will be refelected in the drawing containing the linked data.

I haven't used annotation in Map 2008 for object data, do you still have available the label formatting that FDO features can display? I liked seeing the option of having halo style of labels.