Thread: Easily Navigating to Specific Rooms?

Login to Give a bone

Default Easily Navigating to Specific Rooms?

I'm finding it much easier to navigate (using the walk tool) in NavisWorks than with DWF files, though I'd like to be able to quickly jump to different rooms from exported Revit files. I've seen where I can save view locations in NavisWorks, but what I'd really like to have a list of room and quickly jump to them. Is anyone aware of a add-on (or feature I didn't find in NavisWorks) to quickly click on room names in a menu to go to that room? Does Revit export room name information to NavisWorks?

Also, it would be nice to see a small plan view overview as I walk/fly through a model. Something like the world overview that can be turned on in Google Earth. Maybe this would be a wish list item?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    --Jim

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Easily Navigating to Specific Rooms?

I'm not sure about any way to define a room list (I've always saved viewpoints so I'd be interested in hearing if there is another way). We regularly export from Revit and I've never seen an option for this type of information.

However, you can turn on a Plan View Thumbnail view by choosing View > Control Bars > Plan Thumbnail (or by pressing CTRL + F9). You can navigate in this "Plan View" view by picking on the arrow and sliding it to where you wish to be - I've found this to be a clumsy navigation tool, but it can come in handy from time to time.

Brett

Login to Give a bone

I don't think the room info comes through from Revit ;-( ...wish list!? so the best way I can think of is to place a tiny object in each room, export to nwc, create search sets for each of those objects with a room title or number as the name, so when they're 'found' you can right mouse on the viewing window and 'view selected' or press home to at least get to a starting point for navigation.

Interesting though that I feel the best way to get around the models is with the 3d turned off and just stacked dwg overlays showing only - that way you move around the space, find the room, look at the 'drawing' in Navis and understand the room's associated corridors, size and the adjacent rooms etc, before you switch on the 3d (which often blocks out everthing and obscures your senses)

hope this helps
    john

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try. It does appear being able to quickly jump to rooms from a list would be a wish list item.
    --Jim

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was able to get rooms by exporting to IFC but since they do not come through as a physical object in navis view selected does not work

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Saved Autocad views come across into Navis, although that doesn't help with Revit files.

My only suggestion would be save some Viewpoints once you locate each room, then you can return to them whenever you'd like. I save numerous views with different clipping planes in a similar manner.

-Chris