Thread: Profile Surface Display Problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Profile Surface Display Problem

I have a profile with 2 surfaces associated with it. The first is the existing surface; the second is a proposed swale. The alignment extends for 2 miles +, I am only concerned 300’ of this alignment and have defined a profile that encompasses only the area I am working on. The existing surface is displayed correctly within the profile and has the correct stations and elevations in the Profile View Properties Dialog Box. The proposed swale however does not display in the profile and has a 0+00.00 stationing and 0.00’ elevation in the Profile View Properties Dialog Box. My question is how do you get the proposed swale to acquire the correct stationing and elevations, so that it will display in the profile view?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Profile Surface Display Problem

When you say you have "a profile with two surfaces associated to it", I am assuming that you are saying that you have one alignment, and you created two profiles in that alignment, using the "Create Profile from Surface" option. Is that right?

If that's what you meant, then do you have the profile(s) you want to see enabled in the Profile View?

Right-click on your Profile View and look at the properties. The Profiles you want to see should be enabled on the Profiles tab. And you should make sure the correct extents for the Profile View are selected on the Stations and Elevations tabs. Normally, the Automatic option works, but in this case, you may have to specify values.

Login to Give a bone

I may have mis-parsed that. On reading your post again, I'm getting the impression that your "swale" profile is empty.

Did you create the swale profile using the "Create Profile from Surface" option?

Login to Give a bone

I created a profile that has the existing and proposed swale as surfaces. When I go to the Profile View the Stations and Elevations tabs, the existing is fine and have the correct values in these fields, the proposed swale has 0 in both fields and I am unable to edit them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

You won't be able to edit the profile from the profile view dialog box. If you created the proposed swale profile from a surface, then chances are that your surface has the 0 elevation in it. The question here is which method did you use to create the profile? It would also help if you posted the drawing or screenshots.

Login to Give a bone

You keep losing me.

Quote Originally Posted by froose View Post
    I created a profile that has the existing and proposed swale as surfaces.[/COLOR]
    What does this mean? You have TWO profiles, right? They can both be in the same alignment, but there should be TWO profiles, one for EG, and one for your proposed swale.

But if I'm parsing you correctly, you are trying to create a "proposed" profile from an existing swale surface. The usual way to do this would be the other way around, and create a swale from a FG profile using a corridor. But I'm assuming you used a grading object or feature lines instead, so now you want to basically reverse-engineer the profile from your surface?

It sounds kind of like you have one profile created from a surface, but you have another empty profile. Did you run the "Create Profile from Surface" command twice? What do you see on the Profiles tab when you look at the Profile View Properties? Do both profiles have a "Data Source" entry?

Login to Give a bone

Ok, Maybe this image will help explain things a little better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaserpent; 2008-04-17 at 03:38 PM.

Login to Give a bone

And here is a image showing the elevations and stationing in the plan view/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

It's pretty hard to see what's happening in those images.

Where exactly is your alignment? Does your alignment actually run through the same horizontal location as the surface?

Typically, in the "Create Profile from Surface" command, C3D will automatically determine the ranges where your alignment and surface intersect. The only way you should see a 0 range is if your alignment is not in the same place as your surface.

If your alignment and surface are actually in the same place, then I don't know why it's not picking it up. All I can think of is make sure you are in WCS, and try running AUDIT. That's about all I can say from the images.