See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit 2009 - Performance

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2009 - Performance

RAC 2009 is at 30% slower than 2008. I'll wait until they release a new build.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Weird... We havent experienced any slowdown at all performance wise, and we are in 7 linked models that were all upgraded from the post y2k8 build of 2008, and those files were upgrades from the previous build of 2008.

Autodesk Revit Developer
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brangera View Post
    RAC 2009 is at 30% slower than 2008. I'll wait until they release a new build.
    As we work on new releases, we run pretty comprehensive performance tests and we watch these things very closely to prevent slowdowns. So if you are experiencing issues that we didn't see in-house, they may have a number of explanations; to be able to answer and deal with them, it would help us immensly to get specifics reported to Support (what operations are slow, in what models, on what hardware configurations).

thank you for your patience and understanding.
    Last edited by ilya.bass; 2008-04-18 at 03:46 PM. Reason: minor edit

Autodesk Revit Developer
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ilya.bass View Post
    As we work on new releases, we run pretty comprehensive performance tests and we watch these things very closely to prevent slowdowns. So if you are experiencing issues that we didn't see in-house, they may have a number of explanations; to be able to answer and deal with them, it would help us immensly to get specifics reported to Support (what operations are slow, in what models, on what hardware configurations).

thank you for your patience and understanding.
    I just learned of one recently reported problem with Shadows, which we are investigating. Turning Shadows off when you don't need them may help.

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ilya.bass View Post
    Aget specifics reported to Support (what operations are slow, in what models, on what hardware configurations)
    I'll bite. Please see my recent post regarding printing to PDF. Where do I send my computer to be analyzed?

Autodesk Revit Developer
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post
    I'll bite. Please see my recent post regarding printing to PDF. Where do I send my computer to be analyzed?
    it may not be necessary to send in the hardware. Support has means of getting certain key information from Revit journals and other places. The best thing to do is log a case with Support (via subscription center) - they will ask for data and work with you to resolve the issue.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by guy.messick View Post
    FYI, our reseller said "but it's a new release!" Autodesk needs to get over that attitude real quick.
    Just read last night that OS X is perhaps the only software anywhere to consistently get faster with each new release, on the same hardware. This is not so much an "I want a Mac port" statement as it is proof that you CAN make software faster with each release, and still be adding great new features. It IS technically possible. So yeah, the "but it's a new release!" comment is pretty lame, and a little embarrassing. I guess Autodesk doesn't want Revit to be "insanely Great!", just "passably profitable".

Gordon

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ilya,

Can someone from Autodesk, either yourself or others please confirm what some suspect that OpenGL is now implemented on top of DirectX as a first step towards full DirectX support?

There are many people spending a lot of time trying to tweak performance on their PC's. A move to DirectX is a fundamental graphic card issue, many who are considering new graphic cards and many firms will be buying/leasing new PC's this year.

I would think few if any would not appreciate some honesty here. If Autodesk have decided they are moving Revit to DirectX then so be it.

Cheers,

Guy

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would like to know as well. If you look in the Revit 2009 Program directory, you'll see GrphDX9.dll and GrphOpenGL.dll files which seem to indicate that Autodesk is trying to support both (which would be awesome) or is migrating to DirectX for reasons I'd like to understand better.

So yes, Ilya, if you can divulge this, then the masses will know and understand.

Just so you all know -- the release version is faster than the final beta version, at least here on our FireGL-equipped machines using the latest drivers.

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay View Post
    Just so you all know -- the release version is faster than the final beta version, at least here on our FireGL-equipped machines using the latest drivers.
    Ah, good to know. That gives me justification for blowing off some of the work I should be doing, and get the new install set up. Thanks Wes!!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast