Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Object Enablers

Login to Give a bone

Default Object Enablers

Which dbx files/folder does Navisworks use when importing a dwg?
    Program Files\AutoCAD? Program Files\Autodesk\Common? Program Files\Navisworks?

I believe the correct enablers are installed because the consultant file (ABS 2007) opens correctly in AutoCAD ( 2008 ), but only shows me rectangles in Navisworks.

I ran into this with a QuickPen file in the past and reinstalling the enabler resolved the issue... no luck this time around.

Anyone run into this before?

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Object Enablers

Hi Steve,

I had a similar problem with an object enabler bringing in the proxy bounding boxes instead of the geometry (even though it loaded fine in AutoCAD) - I sorted it out by checking the registry values under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\

If it's for ACAD 2008 I think you check in the R17.0, R17.1, R17.2 subkeys, look under \Applications\ for your application name, and check the path to the *.dbx file is correct.

If your app isn't listed, find out what the proxy application name is and add a new key of the same name. Then add a DWORD value for a named LOADCTRLS with value 1, and a new STRING value named LOADER with the path to the object enabler's *.dbx file (do a search for *.dbx in it's program directory).

This worked for the object enabler I was using, hope it helps.

Cheers,

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Object Enablers

Having some similar issues with our quick pen piping coming in as 2d wireframe. When we load the Navis should our quick pen viewer already be installed, or does it matter?

Login to Give a bone

I can't see a Quickpen plugin in the Navisworks 5.5 setup, so I would assume that it doesn't matter if Quickpen is loaded when Navisworks is installed, Navisworks will use the ObjectDBX registry keys to load any AutoCAD-compliant object enabler.

If it's done the same thing as Prosteel's object enabler then it might be putting the wrong path name into the registry values I posted earlier. Prosteel put the correct values into 2 of the keys (17.1, 17.2) which was enough for AutoCAD to read the objects, but in the 17.0 key it had the completely wrong path to the dbx. Changing this path to the same as the other 2 fixed the problem.

The other way you could do it - which is what we did until we fixed the registry, is simply to use the nwcout command to create the file - the geometry has already been created by AutoCAD & it passes it to the Navisworks exporter. If the command is unavailable in AutoCAD you'll need to appload \Program Files\NavisWorks 5\nwexport2008\nwexport2008.arx (or the 2006/2007 equivalent depending on your version).

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lawson View Post
    I can't see a Quickpen plugin in the Navisworks 5.5 setup, so I would assume that it doesn't matter if Quickpen is loaded when Navisworks is installed, Navisworks will use the ObjectDBX registry keys to load any AutoCAD-compliant object enabler.

If it's done the same thing as Prosteel's object enabler then it might be putting the wrong path name into the registry values I posted earlier. Prosteel put the correct values into 2 of the keys (17.1, 17.2) which was enough for AutoCAD to read the objects, but in the 17.0 key it had the completely wrong path to the dbx. Changing this path to the same as the other 2 fixed the problem.

The other way you could do it - which is what we did until we fixed the registry, is simply to use the nwcout command to create the file - the geometry has already been created by AutoCAD & it passes it to the Navisworks exporter. If the command is unavailable in AutoCAD you'll need to appload \Program Files\NavisWorks 5\nwexport2008\nwexport2008.arx (or the 2006/2007 equivalent depending on your version).

Have you tried using the ProSteel 17.2 enabler on a computer with NavisWorks but not AutoCAD? I've been trying that here and NavisWorks still puts the ProSteel objects in as wireframe not solids.

Login to Give a bone

No I haven't tried it without AutoCAD loaded - might be worth adding in these registry keys as follows just in case Navisworks is reading the dbx location independently - the keys reference Autodesk not AutoCAD specifically, so it might work.

(Acad 2006)
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\R16.0\Applications\Pro_Stahl_3d\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\R16.1\Applications\Pro_Stahl_3d\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\R16.2\Applications\Pro_Stahl_3d\

(Acad 200
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\R17.0\Applications\Pro_Stahl_3d\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\R17.1\Applications\Pro_Stahl_3d\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\ObjectDBX\R17.2\Applications\Pro_Stahl_3d\

Under each key make sure the following 2 entries are in there:

LOADCTRLS - REG_DWORD - 0x00000001 (1)
    LOADER - REG_SZ - c:\<path to ps3d_stl.dbx>

Please let me know if it works!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just tried those registry changes and its not working - the ProSteel objects are still in wireframe and identified as KS_SHAPE objects, not ACAD PROXYs.

Login to Give a bone

There's also the same registry key layout under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Navisworks Ltd\Navisworks\5.0\ObjectDBX\

Except they also have a description value in there too, which I assume should be Pro_Stahl_3D. The loader value does not contain a path though, so maybe copy the ps3d_stl.dbx to the c:\program files\navisworks 5\ directory.

Login to Give a bone

I am working with AutoCAD 2006 and most drawings I have to open come up with and ARX error, and states that I am missing the application Pro_Stahl_3D.

Does anybody know where I can find and object enabler to fix this issue?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Google for AutoPLANT and ProSteel object enablers. They are free to download from a number of sources. But first you should check to see if there are any objects in the files that require said object enablers - if not, you should take steps to remove the data from the files instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast