Thread: 2009 Recent Files list?

Login to Give a bone

Default 2009 Recent Files list?

Under the File menu, I see that Revit now shows the last FIFTEEN files opened, instead of only the last four.

Is there a way to change that or clear it out? I might like to have more than 4, say maybe 8 or 10, but I really don't care to see the last 15 things I opened.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2009 Recent Files list?

I don't have 2009 now in front of me, but maybe that's something we can do playing with the INI file...

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

I saw the list of recent files in the INI file, but didn't see any way to change how many are recorded.

When I deleted a couple of the listed files from the INI file, saved it, then opened Revit, the recent files list broke completely and it didn't list anything under the File menu.

I even tried re-numbering the files in the list in sequential order, but it still only shows the files opened since I tried modifying the INI file. Oh well.

Login to Give a bone

Patricks, I have a theory as to why it doesn't show more than 4.

I personally don't like the Recent Files windows due to it slowing the startup of Revit down quite a bit. I'd rather Revit load without loading the Recent Files list or a template, so that I can grab what I need from the File menu, or from Windows Explorer.

Now, because Revit has to fetch a thumbnail image (presumably from the Revit project file itself) to display in the Recent Files window, this is what causes loading this window to load slowly. If there were 15 projects to have to fetch from, I would think this would make this window even slower to use. The Recent Files window is in fact it's own worse enemy.

I wish we had an option in the Options dialogue to disable this screen for good. I'm not too happy that it has been forced upon us.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
    Patricks, I have a theory as to why it doesn't show more than 4.

I personally don't like the Recent Files windows due to it slowing the startup of Revit down quite a bit. I'd rather Revit load without loading the Recent Files list or a template, so that I can grab what I need from the File menu, or from Windows Explorer.

Now, because Revit has to fetch a thumbnail image (presumably from the Revit project file itself) to display in the Recent Files window, this is what causes loading this window to load slowly. If there were 15 projects to have to fetch from, I would think this would make this window even slower to use. The Recent Files window is in fact it's own worse enemy.

I wish we had an option in the Options dialogue to disable this screen for good. I'm not too happy that it has been forced upon us.
    Actually I kind of like the Recent Files window. I just wish it would close automatically when I picked something.

But no, what I was talking about was the list of recent files you get when you click on the File menu, at the very bottom, right above Exit. Previous versions only showed the last 4 files, now it shows the last 16 files.

And curiously, the files are numbered from 1-15 newest to oldest, and then 0 (instead of 16) at the very bottom.