Thread: Ltscale Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Ltscale Issues

I have some drawings created in AutoCAD 2008 that are not cooperating when it comes to Ltscale. In paperspace I have a centerline that appears as a centerline and a hidden line that appears solid, but when plotted, the centerline plots as a solid line and the hidden lines plot as a hidden line. I have tried a number of commands and I am stumped. I am not a 2008 user yet, so I am not sure if there is a new feature that might be controlling this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ltscale Issues

Quote Originally Posted by hgrigel View Post
    I have some drawings created in AutoCAD 2008 that are not cooperating when it comes to Ltscale. In paperspace I have a centerline that appears as a centerline and a hidden line that appears solid, but when plotted, the centerline plots as a solid line and the hidden lines plot as a hidden line. I have tried a number of commands and I am stumped. I am not a 2008 user yet, so I am not sure if there is a new feature that might be controlling this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure if this will work but try setting PSLTSCALE (paperspace ltscale) to either 1 or 0 .. ie opposite to what it is currently and see if that makes a difference.

This works in conjunction with LTSCALE, in my drawings if it is at a scale of 1:100 and LTSCALE is set to 100 (so they display correctly in model space) they all plot as solid in paper space no matter what, so I have to set LTSCALE to 1 and PSLTSCALE to 1

hope this helps

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bowtle View Post
    Not sure if this will work but try setting PSLTSCALE (paperspace ltscale) to either 1 or 0 .. ie opposite to what it is currently and see if that makes a difference.

This works in conjunction with LTSCALE, in my drawings if it is at a scale of 1:100 and LTSCALE is set to 100 (so they display correctly in model space) they all plot as solid in paper space no matter what, so I have to set LTSCALE to 1 and PSLTSCALE to 1

hope this helps
    I have LTScale set to 1, PLTSCALE set to 1 and MSLTSCALE set to 1 also check your annotation scale. you can use the annotation scale to get things to look properly in modelspace as well as paperspace because it is a per viewport setting. ModelSpace is considered a viewport, and in paperspace, the viewport is a viewport. so you can have differing annotation scales in both locations.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It sounds as if you've come across the Imperial / Metric gremlin. Check the Help for the MEASUREMENT system variable. This loads linetype & hatch definitions relevan to either inches or millimeters. Now if you copy a line from one drawing (set to 0=Imperial) and the linetype's not yet defined in the 2nd drawing (with MEASUREMENT = 1 Metric) then the wrong (shorter) linetype def is brought into dwg2.

No matter what you set LTSCALE (or PSLTSCALE) to this line will now be differently scaled to any other linetype loaded as Metric. The converse is also true - with the metric definition causing line dashes to be too long in an Imperial drawing.

The only way I know to get around this is to reload the linetype from the correct LIN file. For Imperial load from ACAD.LIN, form metric load from ACADISO.LIN. This is set as the default through the MEASUREMENT sys var.

If the offending linetype is part of an xref, then you're in for some headaches, since there's no way of simply reloading that lnetype. Basically you'll have to detatch & change the xref file to Imperial / Metric as needed, reload all linetypes & then re-attach the xref - VISRETAIN has no effect on xreffed linetypes.

Having come across this before I've created a lisp routine to reload all XReffed linetypes, but I'll have to go search through my archives - because it was a while back.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    It sounds as if you've come across the Imperial / Metric gremlin. Check the Help for the MEASUREMENT system variable. This loads linetype & hatch definitions relevan to either inches or millimeters. Now if you copy a line from one drawing (set to 0=Imperial) and the linetype's not yet defined in the 2nd drawing (with MEASUREMENT = 1 Metric) then the wrong (shorter) linetype def is brought into dwg2.

No matter what you set LTSCALE (or PSLTSCALE) to this line will now be differently scaled to any other linetype loaded as Metric. The converse is also true - with the metric definition causing line dashes to be too long in an Imperial drawing.

The only way I know to get around this is to reload the linetype from the correct LIN file. For Imperial load from ACAD.LIN, form metric load from ACADISO.LIN. This is set as the default through the MEASUREMENT sys var.

If the offending linetype is part of an xref, then you're in for some headaches, since there's no way of simply reloading that lnetype. Basically you'll have to detatch & change the xref file to Imperial / Metric as needed, reload all linetypes & then re-attach the xref - VISRETAIN has no effect on xreffed linetypes.

Having come across this before I've created a lisp routine to reload all XReffed linetypes, but I'll have to go search through my archives - because it was a while back.
    I think you might be right on with the metric/imperial gremlin, because I had to fix another problem in the files that pertained to xref's automatically scaling at 25.4 to convert from metric to imperial. I have already tried to fix the current problem with psltscale and ltscale, but not msltscale. I will try your suggestions and see if any of them work. Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry, I appreciate your help!

Login to Give a bone

Another thing to check is to see if the line scale has been set individually in the properties, that has cault me out a couple of times.

Don Smith

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    I have LTScale set to 1, PLTSCALE set to 1 and MSLTSCALE set to 1 also check your annotation scale. you can use the annotation scale to get things to look properly in modelspace as well as paperspace because it is a per viewport setting. ModelSpace is considered a viewport, and in paperspace, the viewport is a viewport. so you can have differing annotation scales in both locations.
    I never knew there was a MSLTSCALE ... have been annoyed for ages that i had to either have linetypes displaying properly in either MS or PS but not both, cant count the number of times i did a plot with the wrong settings so all the linetypes didn't plot correctly.

Best thing i ever did was join AUGI ... have learned heaps ... thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bowtle View Post
    I never knew there was a MSLTSCALE ... have been annoyed for ages that i had to either have linetypes displaying properly in either MS or PS but not both, cant count the number of times i did a plot with the wrong settings so all the linetypes didn't plot correctly.

Best thing i ever did was join AUGI ... have learned heaps ... thanks
    Well, the MSLTSCALE only works if you then set your Annotation scale as well. It doesn't help if you don't use annotative scaling.