Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit Best Practices (RBP) - View Naming

I could stop if I wanted to Kevin Janik's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Best Practices (RBP) - View Naming

This is the first in a series of Revit Best Practices (RBP) threads that will be posted, one per week, for input by all Revit Users. See the thread Revit Best Practices (RBP) - General. The goal of each thread is to identify Revit Best Practices for the topic, in this case, View Naming. At the end of each week, someone will be asked to formulate a Word Document in a standard format, summarizing the general direction of the thread, and come up with a single Best Practice for that topic with prehaps some possible alternates which will be posted in the last thread for that topic.

Please use the following guidelines listed below for posting and see Revit Best Practices (RBP) - General. for additional information on the overall Revit Best Practices concept of AUGI Revit Forum threads. The success and value of this is based on the input of many people, especially seasoned Revit users.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Janik View Post
    Revit Best Practices (RBP) Guidelines for Posting:

• Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be for brain storming and discussion of best practice ideas. Thursday and Friday will be for focusing on one or a couple options for final Revit best practices.
    • Do some research on AUGI and other locations to see what others are doing and post that information in this thread and link to if available on line.
    • Be specific and note if this is a Revit office standard (ROS), a Revit personal preference or information you have gleaned from AUGI or another location. If an office standard, note how long have you been using it and are there any problems with it.
    • Note tips and benefits of the best practice from the point of view of how Revit works efficiently as well as a team of people .
    To start things off, here is a list of the View Types and some input based on information I gleaned from personal Office Standards and BIM manual posted online at http://www.4bim.com/share/hok/hokcad...dstandards.htm

General View Naming Conventions

Option #1

• Use "View Name" and not "Title on Sheet" in the view properties "Indentity Data'" area.
    • Use capital letters for Views on Sheets and upper and lower case for other view types.
    • Views on Sheets are named by subject first and with level when appropriate since the View Name property is used only.

Option #2

• Use "View Name" and not "Title on Sheet" in the view properties "Indentity Data'" area for all views to be consistent and not confuse staff.
    • Use upper and lower case for all views and name so they sort in order of level or other order for easy access when working.

Color Fill Plan Views

• Color - "<Modifier>"

Exported or Background Creation Views

• Export - "<Modifier>"

Imported Views

• Import - "<Modifier>"

Callout Views

Drafting Views

• Name to be clear as what it is and add Drawing Number and Sheet Number to help locate in browser.

Schedule Views

Legend Views

Working Views

• Work - "Initials of Person" "<Description>"

Special Plan Views

Sheet Views

Dummy Sheet Views

Browser Organization Related to Views Including Specifics of How and Parameters Used Including Types.

Construction Views

• ASIs

• RFIs

With the extent of this thread, this may need to be alive for more than one week, but next Monday, I will post another topic. If you have input on the next topic, please post it at the thread Revit Best Practices (RBP) - General. to keep this thread from getting cluttered and off focus.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kevin Janik; 2008-05-07 at 12:11 AM. Reason: View Naming for Construction RFIs and ASIs Added and Items Not Discussed Much Yet in Red

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Best Practices (RBP) - View Naming

Kevin,

The issue with the two options you have listed below is that these views with capitolized names are extremely difficult to read when it comes to referenceing existing views. That pull-down cannot be sorted.

We have taken a different approach. We use Sentence case in the View Name field, and all caps in the Title on Sheet field. For Instance, a Drafting or detail roof detail view would be named Roof - Area B - Roof Parapet Cap. Doing it this way allows this to be easily located in the Reference other views pulldown. We also added a project parameter we named view type, to all of our views, so as to add a level of organization to the project browser.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

My personal approach to the naming of views is rather loose, but controlled at the same time. I have a Shared Parameter in the project called Drawing Type. This is a text parameter and can be set to any arbitrary name, but typical values are:

Working
    GA
    Detail
    Rooms

etc.

I then sort my browser folders

+Phase
    -+Floor Plans (for example)
    --+Working
    ---+Copy (4) of 6th

The last line is where you can see that things are loose. I exercise enough control in the sorting of views that the actual view name is not too important. I'll only rename a view when it gets confused amongst its neighbours in the browser, or if it's going on a multi-view sheet and needs a 'presentation' name.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Janik View Post

• Name to be clear as what it is and add Drawing Number and Sheet Number to help locate in browser.
    That seems like a good idea, but I would then use Title On Sheet and make it the same name, but without the drawing and sheet number, as that could look rather messy having a detail number in the view title, and then have it again in the view title name.

I dunno, I guess that might need to be saved until just before printing, because then it would be more difficult to have to re-name the view if it ever changed location on the sheet.

Login to Give a bone

First discipline name....
    A, C, S, I etc... Following NCS. W for user work views. X for export.

Then view type following NCS.
    FP, SP, EL, etc...

Then level name for floors.
    01, 02, 03 etc

Then Phase or use,
    Existing, New, Demo, Presentation, etc...

Wall and Building sections are identified by closest column grid.

Elevations by directions.

Examples:
    A-FP01 Existing
    I-FP01 New
    A-SP01 New
    A-EL-N
    A-SC-12

All exports have simple names generally following NCS. Schematic and CD's can be in same file. Names sort easily with browser filters, no extra shared parameters to insert into view.

Always titlecase for elgibility.
    Last edited by aaronrumple; 2008-04-22 at 03:44 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    First discipline name....
    A, C, S, I etc... Following NCS. W for user work views. X for export.

Then view type following NCS.
    FP, SP, EL, etc...

Then level name for floors.
    01, 02, 03 etc

Then Phase or use,
    Existing, New, Demo, Presentation, etc...

Wall and Building sections are identified by closest column grid.

Elevations by directions.

Examples:
    A-FP01 Existing
    I-FP01 New
    A-SP01 New
    A-EL-N
    A-SC-12

All exports have simple names generally following NCS. Schematic and CD's can be in same file. Names sort easily with browser filters, no extra shared parameters to insert into view.

Always titlecase for elgibility.
    Agree. NCS has a lot of this worked out. Also, this way when we export the file names generally match our existing naming conventions, which confuses everyone, including consultants, less.

Login to Give a bone

This makes sense but the names are pretty basic. We use this for AutoCAD naming right now basically but it is like we are back in AutoCAD land with 8 character file names. Many big firms around here look at Revit as a different program with new capabilities and just use it more like how it comes out of the box with naming not looking back at AutoCAD and legacy stuff. Is this a bad approach?

Kevin

Login to Give a bone

I've implemented something like this now at 2 different offices.
    Other systems I've seen end up generating confusion with larger work teams. Using a more "english" name works well when there are few users or for small projects, but things get out of hand when people start making things up to suit their own needs.

The concept behind this system is that names are short and to the point. The user should be able to find what they need with little effort.

You shouldn't have to ask someone what something is called. Is that First Floor Plan or main Floor Plan? Having a structured naming system eliminates that problem. If you know the system - you know where and what everything is.

A lot of firms add shared parameters in to start organizing the browser. This has several problems. First you need to set it all up. Second people have to user it. The third is that it costs time and money to fill out the extra parameters. The moment someone doesn't fill in a parameter, the system is broken. Since you must name views, you might as well use that as your primary method for organizing the project. There are then fewer things to go wrong. In this system I can sill filter by discipline, phase, etc....

We are a multi-discipline firm so adding the A, C, I makes a lot of sense for us. We have a large ID department, but the architects do a bulk of the CD work for the ID staff. We always have parallel drawings. We'll have an A-EP101 for an architectural enlarged room. And we'll have a very similar plan I-EP101 fro the ID finishes. (I forgot to mention above that we use room numbers for enlarged floor plans.)

The FP could theoretically be removed, as Revit knows it is a floor plan, but it is helpful to be able to distinguish between an overall floor plan and an enlarged plan (EP) and hence sort and filter these as well.

We don’t make it all “AutoCAD” tho… We still use a nice English term for Existing, Demo, etc which lets us add as a suffix things like “Presentation”, “Life Safety”, etc…. For enlarged rooms we also sometimes add on an optional short name – such as A-EP101 Bathroom.

Login to Give a bone

That makes alot of sense! The project or shared parameters are more work and a bit more complicated and you need to have a view schedule basically to manage them. This does keep things to the basics of what everyone can do, especially good for new users. Also using other catagories of section, callout etc view tags you can get browser organization without the parameters. Is that what you are saying. It works for most view types except Plans and Reflected Ceiling Plans where you can not make additional view types. (See the attached image.)

What are other peoples thoughts?

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Aaron's system works, but when the sheet naming conventions keept changing, then I opted to go the route of adding a view parameter that we use to sort the browser with (same applies to sheets and this helps with ordering the sheet list). The views that go to a specific sheet series get the sheet designator and start with a dash so they go to the top of the list. So for example a view gets the "view classification" parameter set to "-A1" if it belongs to that series or "-A3" if...you get the point. So all sheet views go to the top and anything else gets organized in other sub folders such as "Presentation", "RFI", "Working" etc. below those. When it comes to naming then we name some most views according to the sheet they're on. This mostly applies to plan views, where each area gets defined, goes to a sheet and doesn't move to another sheet. With building & wall sections, elevations etc, it's a different question. We try to use names that make sense, but have not implemented a "standard". We probably ought to. I wish we could define view naming as an automatic thing based on parameters that we specify in our templates, such as concatenating the sheet name with the detail number or a combination of text input and sheet number etc.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast