See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New school assignment questions

Login to Give a bone

Smile New school assignment questions

Hi everybody,

I can see that I'm not the first to ask these questions, but I'm currently learning AutoCAD as part of my Interior Design class, and theres an assignment where I have to Interview an AutoCAD used and get the following questions answered. I'm new to the field but I already love doing AutoCAD. Please answer the questions and add any advice you might have to someone who are starting in the field:

Your Name, location, and profession?

When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)?

The types of standardization you use?

Advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to your practice?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Evaniejane

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New school assignment questions

I would just use the same answers as everyone else. I still wonder, are you all from the same school, taking the same class?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by evaniejane View Post
    Hi everybody,

I can see that I'm not the first to ask these questions, but I'm currently learning AutoCAD as part of my Interior Design class, and theres an assignment where I have to Interview an AutoCAD used and get the following questions answered. I'm new to the field but I already love doing AutoCAD. Please answer the questions and add any advice you might have to someone who are starting in the field:

When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Evaniejane
    Actually, I just thought of a disadvantage that I don't remember being brought up. People have this view that it should be 2-3 times quicker to do preliminary design work with CAD than by hand (they do here anyway). Personally, I say going by hand is faster, but for revisions, CAD is faster.

Login to Give a bone

We are probably from the same school. I'm taking Interior design at Art Institute Online. The study is made up of a number of 6 week modules. I've done classes on drawing, color theory and drafting (hand drafting) and I'm now taking a class called Introduction to AutoCAD. There will be later classes as well where AutoCAD is being used.

I find that I seem to have a knack for AutoCAd and I really like it.

I am using the other answers to make a summary, but I have be careful not to be accused of plagiarism so i was hoping to get some unique answer myself

~Evaniejane

Login to Give a bone

Julie Remke
    Indiana, United States
    Freelance Structural Steel Detailer

I produce all fabrication shop drawings, and field erection drawings for ALL structural steel (and some miscellaneous metals) components of commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. This happens AFTER architects'/engineers' design drawings have been released (although it doesn't necessarily mean designs won't be changed during -- or even AFTER -- I've detailed steel components for the fabricator and field use drawings for the erector).

Drawings are created based on standards set by AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction), NISD (National Institute of Steel Detailing) , OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), AWS (American Welding Society), and many more governing organizations. There are Codes of Standard Practice to adhere to, as well as building codes... etc. As far as standardizing CAD drawings goes... there are steel industry-wide standards and common practices that come into play, with respect to how drawings are presented and organized.

Since I started detailing steel back in 1987 -- "on the board", or "hand drafting" (as you called it) -- I have first-hand knowledge of how CAD has affected the profession: In nearly ALL aspects, CAD has improved my productivity and efficiency. In my particular case, CAD's had no relevance over accuracy... because of how I utilize it. And the only thing that I miss about drawing on the board is that it's more difficult now to distinguish one detailer's drawings from another.

Any advice?

You can read all the manuals and guides you can get your hands on (which I DO highly recommend)... but the best and fastest way to become an expert in CAD is to explore it and use it every day!

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck with your assignment!
    Last edited by Julie.Integra; 2008-04-24 at 01:27 AM.