Thread: AutoCAD rubric

Login to Give a bone

Question AutoCAD rubric

I have just started teaching full-time and I am looking for a better way to grade my stdents AUtoCAD work. The end results are easily graded for accuracy, but what about the process to get to the end result? How much should that be weighted? If anyone is willing to share a rubric or other grading method i would appreciate it.

TIA!

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD rubric

Oh wow... It has been so long since I actually had to grade drawings. I cannot remember the exact breakdown, but here are my personal thoughts. Let's assume you grade based on 100 points.
    • First and foremost is legibility: at lease 30 points should go here. My rule of thumb (I even wrote it into our Standards book) "If you can't read the drawing, what's the point?"
    • Application of Standard (if you have one). Probably 15-20 points depending on how serious the application of Standards are to the potential employers your students will work for.
    • Organization. 15-20 points. I'd look for viewport contents to align with neighboring relevant geometry.
    • Spelling and grammar in annotations. 10 points.
    • Layout and clarity of dimensions. 10 points.
    • Titleblock. 10 points for correctly filling it out, and keeping up with revision dates.
    Of course, these are just a few thoughts. You may want to rework things to be tailored to the type of drafting you are teaching. You might even reserve a bucket of 10-20 points just for special purposes, which may be unique to each assignment.

Login to Give a bone

I don't think process is all that important - it usually relates, in the end, to speed and that should always come second to accuracy.
    Just make sure your students are exposed to the fact that there are always several ways to achieve any particular aim - which methods to use in any given set of circumstances is their choice.

Login to Give a bone

...and anyway, the only way to know how something was done is by using something like key-logger software.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the tips, it is hard to judge any acad work. I know the final product is the most important, but in the job world, if I can get the same results in less time from someone, they always get or keep the job.

Maybe I have to figure out a way to evaluate their thinking process; What other ways could you accomplish the desired result? What other tools/commands could you use?

I would hate to log keystrokes and then have to check them.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

What you could have them do is do an F2, copy the log from when they first started the project, and paste it into a .txt file and to submit that file to you when they've finished their project. You could run the project yourself, and do the same to compare their results with yours.
    Like the others have said, I wouldn't worry about this step of the process. What you want is really the end results. What you did not mention is the level of the course. If it's a beginning level, then only use it to give guidance. Make a note of some things that people are doing that are longer than could be, then in class, make it a point to show everyone how to do the process faster (but don't point anyone out). If it's an advanced class, then okay, you can use it to grade them on, but at most, I'd give it a 5% weight.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bkaebisch View Post
    I have just started teaching full-time and I am looking for a better way to grade my stdents AUtoCAD work. The end results are easily graded for accuracy, but what about the process to get to the end result? How much should that be weighted? If anyone is willing to share a rubric or other grading method i would appreciate it.

TIA!
    I think that process is overrated, especially in a beginning class. If they produce an accurate end result in the time allotted for doing the drawing, that is the most important thing. As they advance through the program, they will hopefully learn quicker ways to do things, although this can vary depending on how many instructors are teaching the same material. I generally teach more shortcuts than other instructors in my department due to my engineering background where the end result tended to be the most important thing. As long as they are accurate, they will likely learn quicker ways to do things once they get into the workplace.

If my students can reproduce a drawing accurately, layer and dimension it correctly, insert a title block, and make their text a specific size (darn paper space!!!), I feel that they have met the intent of what I am teaching them. If you start getting bogged down in too many details, the time it takes to grade them becomes overwhelming in a hurry.

Logging keystrokes or creating a text file from their F2 window only exacerbates this problem, IMHO.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Do an AOTC at an Autodesk Training centre, or online, then purchase the training manual/software.
    http://store.autodesk.com/store/adsk...oryID.10033100