Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow programming

Login to Give a bone

Default Arrow programming

In previus versions of AutoCAD, the up and down arrows would cycle thru previusly typed text / commands. Namely during a command where I would override the snaps by typing in a specific snap I wanted. Is there a way to program the arrows to act like the older versions rather than cycling thru points?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Arrow programming

Quote Originally Posted by irchrismm View Post
    In previus versions of AutoCAD, the up and down arrows would cycle thru previusly typed text / commands. Namely during a command where I would override the snaps by typing in a specific snap I wanted. Is there a way to program the arrows to act like the older versions rather than cycling thru points?
    Are you in the middle of a command when it cycles the previous points? The only time it does that to me is when I am already in a command. If I'm just at the command line and press up or down, it'll give me the previous commands I have entered.

Login to Give a bone

yes thats correct. When i am not in a command, I can cycle thru previous commands, but when I am in a command...say copy, in older versions I could type either a distance, or a snap type, and then use the arrows to cycle thru them rather than retype every time or shift+right click or the other really slow time consuming methods. The proble i have when snaps are on, is that sometimes I want the midpoint of a line, but the snap goes to the end point of a near by line etc. With all the programmable power of AutoCad, I figure there has to be a way.

Login to Give a bone

in older versions I could type either a distance, or a snap type, and then use the arrows to cycle thru them rather than retype every time or shift+right click or the other really slow time consuming methods. The proble i have when snaps are on, is that sometimes I want the midpoint of a line, but the snap goes to the end point of a near by line etc. With all the programmable power of AutoCad, I figure there has to be a way.
    What version of AutoCAD are you using? Autodesk got rid of the ability to cycle thru distances entered while in a command. Not quite sure what version they changed that in. What they show now are just the x,y,z, coordinates of the last distance that you entered. Which is a pain. I really liked that feature.

When you set your Osnaps, I'm assuming that you have, for example, midpoint checked? When it doesn't give you the snap you want, are you able to override it with Shift+right click?

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, that's the whole point. I was using 2000 up to about 3 weeks ago, and now in 2007. Some things I like, but the cycle option being removed is not one of them. I used it so much in 2000, that I still out of habit use it. ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! On top of that, Im in LT which is little more than an electronic drafting table. Argh! I was hoping there would be some way to adjust the CUI to make the arrows cycle. Oh well, I guess I'm stuck doing things the long, time consuming way.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I found the fix for this. It is actually quite simple, and I realize I was not asking AutoCad the right question when trying to get a fix. The command is "inputhistorymode" Then change the variable to 8. Now you can use the arrows to scroll thru all the inputs you have put in the command line. This is good if you are moving or copying multiple object or drawing lines with the same distances, or using a specific snap over and over, rather than Shift+right click. Am much happier with ACAD now.

Login to Give a bone

Damn, why didn't you tell me that a year ago when I went to 2008??!!

Oh well, I'm using dynamic input now with no command line. No use for it now!

Login to Give a bone

That was the first variable I changed once I discovered the issue with arrows cycling through co-ords etc instead of commands or distances entered.
    Always forget the command though!
    edit:just checked my machine - we have it set to 4 and it seems to work fine with cycling through previously entered distances.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

That's gotta be the tip/trick of the year. I just emailed everyone in our company and uploaded that command and description to our CAD standards website "Comman CAD Problems" page.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I found the fix for this. It is actually quite simple, and I realize I was not asking AutoCad the right question when trying to get a fix. The command is "inputhistorymode" Then change the variable to 8. Now you can use the arrows to scroll thru all the inputs you have put in the command line. This is good if you are moving or copying multiple object or drawing lines with the same distances, or using a specific snap over and over, rather than Shift+right click. Am much happier with ACAD now.
    What was the setting initially? The default setting is 15, the sum of all the settings, which turns them all ON.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast