See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Showing the Electrical Motor Symbol on Mechanical Equipment

Login to Give a bone

Default Showing the Electrical Motor Symbol on Mechanical Equipment

How is everyone showing the Electrical Motor Symbol on Mechanical Equipment?
    Is anyone adding the symbol in the Mechanical equipment component directly, allowing it to be turned off in Mechanical views?

I could make a symbol seperate than the mechanical equipment, but then it needs to be coordinated (if not locked to it) and it should not carry electrical connections, if the mechanical equipment is going to have the electrical connection.

I am leaning towards placing the motor annotation symbol in the mechanical equipment, and would like to know how people are doing it, and if they know of some pros/cons in doing this way.

Thank you in Advance,

Luigi

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Showing the Electrical Motor Symbol on Mechanical Equipment

All trades in same model or separate? Same model, add annotation family that uses a subcategory you can shut of in Mechanical views, as you suggest. Separate model, you should probably use a generic motor family so you can connect it electrically. Then you need to coordinate the location with the equipment...a bit "old school" that.

Login to Give a bone

(edited: actually I can, the circle, which is what I need filled as an option, has an ability to be "filled" or not and it can have a parameter.....but now I have problems not only controlling the annotation in the mechanical equipment, but as it is loaded as well...I can't seem to be able to see it....maybe an elevation thing? will check back)

Yes, that is what I was planning...but I won't be able to control filled region's visibility properly...shucks... I can associate my annotation lines to an object style i.e. electrical power, but I don't have that liberty with filled regions...oh well, will have to work with electrical and their symbol to have proper workflow....
    Thanks Steve,

Luigi
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    All trades in same model or separate? Same model, add annotation family that uses a subcategory you can shut of in Mechanical views, as you suggest. Separate model, you should probably use a generic motor family so you can connect it electrically. Then you need to coordinate the location with the equipment...a bit "old school" that.
    Last edited by luigi; 2008-04-30 at 07:25 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I can't think straight....

Am I not able to control the visibility of a loaded symbol by object styles, eventhough the symbol is organized by object styles?

Basically, there is no way to control the visiblity of an annotation symbol in a mechanical equipment to be visible in one view but not another?

Ok, I guess I can't include the symbol in the mechanical equipment...

(obviously except for the course, medium, fine detail level...but still i won't be able to have the mech. equipment as light dashed, while having the elec. symbol nice and dark )

Login to Give a bone

aah...masking/filled regions... didn't use them. The symbol was lines only and they didn't need masking. Even when masking/filled regions are "off" by sub-category they still mask. That seems buggy to me. The mechanical equipment will or may need to be assigned to a sub-category so the mechanical equipment can be turned of in power plans, depends on your practice.

Login to Give a bone

Since I needed a circle, it has it built in to be "filled" or not....which I never noticed before...so a circle can be filled or not, without a filled region...cool

But I still won't be able to include an electrical symbol to a mechanical equipment. I can assign the objects and lines to a sub category, but not generic annotations...so the generic annotation will always look at the main category (mechanical equipment), so I can never have the annotation turned off, or even controlled independently from the main category.... so it won't work...

I decided to just give the elec engineers an annotative symbol to place where they need to graphically show it...but keeping the power connection part of the mechanical equipment....

aah...masking/filled regions... didn't use them. The symbol was lines only and they didn't need masking. Even when masking/filled regions are "off" by sub-category they still mask. That seems buggy to me. The mechanical equipment will or may need to be assigned to a sub-category so the mechanical equipment can be turned of in power plans, depends on your practice.

Login to Give a bone

You can create a sub-category for generic annotations, such as Show Electrical or Electrical Symbol. A bit counter-intuitive for them to go to the Generic Annotations under the Annotations tab to find it...but you can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hey Steve...that's what I meant at my first post, but once I did that, and inserted the generic annotation into the mechanical equipment, I lose that object style...it doesn't get included in the Mechanical equipment...so, it doesn't work It's about nested components inside families..
    You can create a sub-category for generic annotations, such as Show Electrical or Electrical Symbol. A bit counter-intuitive for them to go to the Generic Annotations under the Annotations tab to find it...but you can.

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried using tags? That way you can move the symbol around as well as control it's visibility while at the same time. Using a tag also allows you to update the circuit number or motor horse power from the equipment and the changes will be reflected on the tag automatically.

Login to Give a bone

I think that will work the best....Thank you very much...
    Quote Originally Posted by jvedio View Post
    Have you tried using tags? That way you can move the symbol around as well as control it's visibility while at the same time. Using a tag also allows you to update the circuit number or motor horse power from the equipment and the changes will be reflected on the tag automatically.