Thread: Site - Toposurface etc

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Site - Toposurface etc

is there any good tutorials for this part of Revit?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Site - Toposurface etc

I'm new to Revit, and I just worked with this myself. It's pretty easy. I just brought in a grading plan from the civil engineer from Autocad, and traced over the contour lines in the sketch mode. Use pick points, and set your elevations. I'm not quite sure how relative vs. absolute works yet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johnpettit View Post
    I'm new to Revit, and I just worked with this myself. It's pretty easy. I just brought in a grading plan from the civil engineer from Autocad, and traced over the contour lines in the sketch mode. Use pick points, and set your elevations. I'm not quite sure how relative vs. absolute works yet.
    If the topo lines in the CAD file are at the correct elevation (Z-coordinate) then you don't even need to trace anything. Just create the toposurface by picking points from the corresponding layers in the CAD file, and the surface will be created. Takes just a few seconds if the CAD file is correct.

Login to Give a bone

If you can give Revit an xyz CSV file, Revit will generate the contours for you. See the discussion at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=76193. My site was 8 acres and I was not about to pick all those points individually.

My surveyor made a block named FLAG and placed it at the correct xyz for each spot elevation. In Acad you can make a CSV file using tools/attribute extraction that will include the xyz. You will need to eliminate some fields from the resultant file such as block name, count, etc. (use Excel). Then remake the CSV with only xyz values. While you are in Excel, sort the values to expose suspicious coords. My Acad blocks missed a few z coords that read as zero. That resulted in a couple of "pits" in my site. Bad points that Revit creates are editable in Revit.

Revit will read the points file, triangulate between them and slice the dirtpile horizontally into contours. (I got this insider info from Leonid himself!) You can even display the triangulation. You may have to clean up the edges, as concave edge points triangulated to each other in a bizarre pattern of needle shaped triangles.