Thread: Walk Navigation with AWSD keys and Mouse

Login to Give a bone

Default Walk Navigation with AWSD keys and Mouse

Description:

Navigate the Model with the COntrols of a Video Game i.e. Walk with AWSD and Look around via mouse Movement.

How Used:

For Model navigation is environments

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Walk Navigation with AWSD keys and Mouse

This would be very nice also in design review. Much better than the tour building wheel. It would be nice also to detect floors and stairs (easily if the dwf is done from revit or adt) and keeps you hovering 1.75 meters above the floor and above each step when you hover over them. While we are at it, maybe they could also add strafe-jumping :P

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Walk Navigation with AWSD keys and Mouse

YES, this would be wonderful. You should be able to do this in all the navigation modes (walk, fly, orbit, turntable).

You should also be able to remap the keys if you don't like A,W,S,D.

Login to Give a bone

Excellent suggestion; I would love to see this.

(Bunny hopping FTW? )

Login to Give a bone

Has this not been implemented by now? I would assume Autodesk has considered that first person shooter developers and gamers would have developed the most efficient methods for navigating 3D virtual environments...

Login to Give a bone

This definitely should be implemented. you could even do the space bar and shift button for moving up and down in the z axis, which is pretty common in video games.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Not that many hard-core FPS gamers in the senior technical design community where review software like this is most common. Every user is familiar with using a mouse; not every user is familiar with the AWSD concept. Even a lot of newer gamers are not familiar with it, not since there are more input options other than keyboard.

Login to Give a bone

It still would be a nice option. I'm not saying take away the mouse navigation. Just add the option of using WASD. And I think you would be surprised how many people are familiar with using that for navigation. Especially since its not just FPS games that use that navigation system, RPG's and MMO's use that as well.

Login to Give a bone

Completely agreed dgorsman!

But this is one of two situations.
    1) gamers have not tried and learned better techniques
    or
    2) the design community (or rather the software developers) have not tried and learned better techniques

Additionally, both styles use the mouse prolifically, however to navigate 3D you must have control over three axises (any of: yaw, pitch, roll, x-translate, y-translate, z-translate). But the mouse only allows two at one time. The current environment restricts users to constantly changing the mouse between these axises by not allowing binding of more axises to the keyboard. It does not have to be AWSD for x and y translations, as with games, users are allowed to make any button any axis. For instance, you could use the arrow keys instead of ASWD. I particularly prefer E/D for x, S/F for y, Z/Space Bar for z movement (allowing me to maintain my hand over the home row keys), with mouse forward/back for pitch and mouse left/right for yaw (and who would want to ever row the z-axis?). The point is, users are allowed the ability to set their preferences of control in games, which seems almost intentionally not allowed in the current environment.

I am not sure why both systems of navigation shouldn't be available to the user.