Thread: Numbering a project with many floors

Login to Give a bone

Default Numbering a project with many floors

We have some projects ramping up to production phase and the issue of sheet numbering has come up. We would like to stick as close as possible to the sheet numbering standard of the NCS and AIA but a few of these towers are both twisting and tapering. That means every floor is different and must be documented. So if we are limited to a 3-digit system and the tower is more than 100 storeys, how do you set up the sheet numbers?

What about a project composed of more than one tower? On more than one podium?

If this should be moved to CAD Standards, feel free.

Thanks, Steve

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Numbering a project with many floors

If you are limited to a 3 digit number then you can effectively build a 999-story building, right? While I would love to see it, I don't think anyone is going quite that tall yet.

As for different towers on seperate pedastals, my advice would be to designate the towers with a letter (ie - tower-b, tower-c and so on) and then number the sheets with a sub-letter starting at 001-A through all the sheets for that tower, then 001-B for the next tower.

in the end, you would be able to have seperate sheet numbers for a complex of 26 seperate towers, each 999-stories tall without using the same sheet designation for any two sheets.

Now that's some seriously big office space!

Login to Give a bone

Sorry, I should have been more specific; if we are to stay within NCS or AIA, the 100 series of drawings is for floor plans, the 200 for elevations etc. eg A-100, A-200. If we follow this standard, we can't go taller than 99 floors, if we didn't have underground parking, which we do.

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stevomatic View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific; if we are to stay within NCS or AIA, the 100 series of drawings is for floor plans, the 200 for elevations etc. eg A-100, A-200. If we follow this standard, we can't go taller than 99 floors, if we didn't have underground parking, which we do.
    The NCS and AIA are standards derived for the sole purpose of achieving some consistency in the conventions we use for engineering drawings. Essentially though they are guidelines, that a lot of companies will adopt in principle and adapt them to suit their own particular requirements.

However getting back to your original question - would it be possible to have 2 floor plans on the same drawing?

Login to Give a bone

I suppose. It all depends on the level of detail. You're talking about a floor plan at 1/8 scale or less at that point which makes it difficult ot document specifics. Obviously you can key to other sheets which blow up the plans, but it's nice to keep eveything together at least once. Especially with having to indicate rotation of floorplate, dimensional changes do to taper, etc.