Thread: Complex 3D shape

Login to Give a bone

Default Complex 3D shape

I am tryinig to draw the front of a roof on a model railroad car. This is a parabolic shape in 2 dimensions. I can't use either EXTRUDE or REVOLVE because they only (apparently) work on a circle, not a parabol.
    I'm using AACAD 2022.
    I've attached a drawing that has two roof fronts. One is the parabolic mentioned above, the other is a pointed roof front.
    For those of you that are railroad nuts, these go on McKeen doodlebugs. They used both the parabolic and a knife-edge front on their cars. I have drawn 13 types of these cars that I want to 3D print and produce for sale. I'd attach a PDF of the "family" but it's 8mb!
    If I can't do this in regular AutoCAD, can you reccomend which version of AutoDesk I should look at?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Complex 3D shape

Quote Originally Posted by sierrabert View Post
    I am tryinig to draw the front of a roof on a model railroad car. This is a parabolic shape in 2 dimensions. I can't use either EXTRUDE or REVOLVE because they only (apparently) work on a circle, not a parabol.
    I'm using AACAD 2022.
    I've attached a drawing that has two roof fronts. One is the parabolic mentioned above, the other is a pointed roof front.
    For those of you that are railroad nuts, these go on McKeen doodlebugs. They used both the parabolic and a knife-edge front on their cars. I have drawn 13 types of these cars that I want to 3D print and produce for sale. I'd attach a PDF of the "family" but it's 8mb!
    If I can't do this in regular AutoCAD, can you reccomend which version of AutoDesk I should look at?
    I'm not a 3D Acad expert, and maybe you've tried this, but why don't you 1) create your front and side shapes as closed polylines (while in the proper USC's) and 2) extrude them through each other.
    Then 3) use the "intersect" command, which welds what overlaps and removes the rest.

My example is very crude but you could make the shapes whatever you need, also look into other 3D commands such as subtract, etc
    Attached Images Attached Images