Thread: Gahhh studying for an interview

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning

Red face Gahhh studying for an interview

Its been 18 months since I've really used CAD for work. I finally loaded it upon my home computer last month and I found out on Tue that I've finally got a job interview for a Draughter position (finally out of document control Yay!) However i've only got a week to get back up to speed on as much as physically possible.

I've looked out some of my old ATP stuff that I printed out. I've found Augidoggies Beginners survival and a couple of other bits and bobs.

I was hoping someone who is more familiar with what is available on here could point me to the beginners stuff which would be most relevant.

The company I am to be interviewed by deals with electrical and instrumentation panels mainly for flow systems in the oil and gas industry.

Pretend I'm going from scratch and you'll be close to the truth I can hardly remember anything (Though I know a load about paper space and viewports from previously mentioned ATP notes).

I also never did learn about blocks so if there's a beginners guide to that it would be cool.

Much thanks in advance

Smile Re: Gahhh studying for an interview

Hi Pontoon,
    My advice is go to the interview brimming with confidence in your own abilities. (A week is a little short for getting back up to speed.) Sell yourself, be honest about the fact it's been a while since you've used CAD in a work-type environment. In my opinion CAD skills are a little like riding a bike, you don't loose those skills, they're just kinda dormant.

However once they give you the position, all the long hours () of on-the-job-learning will have you x-reffing blocks in no time at all.
    Best of luck,
    Cheers!

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar

Default Re: Gahhh studying for an interview

I agree with CGM. If you lack confidence in the skills you know you know, the interviewer will see it...you know

I've had to go long periods without AutoCAD, and usually a good day or two knocks the rust of the cogs. You'll be fine!

Thanks guys. I'm pretty much like that anyway. Honest to a fault and talk too much
    Fingers crossed it gets me through the interview.

I've managed to get back a few of the things I'd completely forgotten however I know a few more bits I want to brush up on before going into interview so that I don't look like a total eejit.

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar

See, we told you so!

Try to talk up your faults as if they were benefits too. Here's an example:

I have been told before that I am too fast of a drafter. That's all well and good, but the problem comes when I run out of work!

See, it's an honest problem (depending on how you look at it), but you made yourself look golden. It's all in delivery!

my usual line is. "my biggest flaw is that I get bored. I need lots to be doing and learning to keep me working to the best of my ability!"

It is also the reason i refuse to stay in the job i'm in!

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pontoon View Post
    my usual line is. "my biggest flaw is that I get bored. I need lots to be doing and learning to keep me working to the best of my ability!"

It is also the reason i refuse to stay in the job i'm in!
    Try not to use that line lass, most firms will look at that and any other conetation and think no way she's an itcher AKA known for not sticking because of bordom. try looking at it again and making it a positive point like i feel that my biggest flaw is that i love to learn and probably work better with fresh challenges

If all else fails flutter the eyelashes lol