Thread: Is Inventor the Best Choice for Developing Prototype Models?

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Is Inventor the Best Choice for Developing Prototype Models?

Hello everyone,

I am an experienced AutoCAD user and have a pretty solid 3D background but I am wondering if Inventor would be the better choice for developing some 3D models for some prototypes of a product instead of AutoCAD? Or maybe another platform would be better than both of them? My background is Architectural/technical drafting so I've never done manufacturing stuff before.

I've only used Inventor a few times but I know I could learn it pretty quick. Any suggestions?..Go with Inventor?...Stay with AutoCAD?...or other choice??

Thanks!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is Inventor the Best Choice for Developing Prototype Models?

Given a choice between Inventor and AutoCAD I would choose Inventor hands down. There is really no comparison - AutoCAD is not appropriate for 3D modeling. Inventor purchase includes AutoCAD for free.
    Inventor LT can be downloaded for free from http://labs.autodesk.com but LT is limited to parts (not assemblies).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is Inventor the Best Choice for Developing Prototype Models?

I started out with AutoCad and then tried Inventor. I design and fabricate prototypes and finished projects for people in plastics and metals. I have my own small shop and had to go from manual drafting to AutoCad in order to work with Architects and Engineers. My first training way in Alias Maya which is used for modeling and animation. Autodesk Inventor is a blend of Maya and AutoCad. For prototyping it is much easier to use and gives you greater visualization abilities when compared with AutoCad. In reality, you should know both, since there will be times when you need to work with Autocad users that require drawings in that format. However, Inventor will allow you to come as close as you can get to a three dimensional object on a two dimensional screen. I swear by Inventor and I was a guy who once said there was no way I would switch over to Inventor.

If you have not tried it, download a trial version and try the tutorials (they actually have decent tutorials that teach you the key points of working with inventor). It is a very easy to use program that is more intuitive than some of the other Autodesk products. Do try it!